Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1) I understand that 2 hoses come from that kind of connector (circled in blue). What is it for?

2) Other hoses come from (or go to) the vacuum tank/reservoir. Which ones?

3) Lastly, some hoses used to go towards under the hood, as you can see circled in red. What are their ways?

Attachments

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really (unless if I can't see it, which can occur).
My issue is very located behind the glovebox where there are only a couple if hoses.
Someone touched there and now, my ac recirc valve does not make it usual closing nose during ignition. The valve should close thanks to one of the vacuum hoses (I guess) but it has been unpluged.
I'd like to find what the 3/4 hoses are for, in order to repair that ac issue + maybe other issues.

Thanks,

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to this fabulous removal video:
, I've managed to distinguish our famous hoses:
  • one hose from the "black connector" goes to A2028001875 (AC actuator, close to the big recirc valve);
  • the second hose coming from that connector goes to the grey vacuum tank/vacuum reservoir;
  • the hose coming from under the hood, passing by the ground, seems to go towards the vacuum reservoir as well.

Can someone confirm these info? 😀

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
894 Posts
It's so long since I've had my glove box out I'm not sure I can help here. There is of course a purple one running from the headlight tilt switch across the back of the box and through the bulkhead to below the battery.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's so long since I've had my glove box out I'm not sure I can help here. There is of course a purple one running from the headlight tilt switch across the back of the box and through the bulkhead to below the battery.
Hi @Rofa,
Indeed, I used to have this one coming through the bulkhead with a grommet, below the glovebox:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Grey

However, this cable was going "nowhere" at that time:
Automotive tire Bumper Tire Rim Bicycle part

Q1: Where is it supposed to be plugged (both around the glovebox and under the hood)?

Q2: in the first pic, you can see a second cable acrossing the grommet, a grey cable. Where is it coming from and going to?

Thanks,

·
*Registered
2000 SLK200K
436 Posts
That switch in blue is the valve for activating the re-circ flap. There is a vacuum element at the end of the hose that only operates one way. Comes back with spring force. If the element is punctured it will leak vacuum and make hissing noise, will not operate etc. (Green) vacuum line is connected to the intake manifold. After entering the firewall it first comes to the vacuum tank and continues to the switch. Tank will allow the flap to operate several times during the REST function with the engine not running.

I have no idea about that pink line.
1) I understand that 2 hoses come from that kind of connector (circled in blue). What is it for?

2) Other hoses come from (or go to) the vacuum tank/reservoir. Which ones?

3) Lastly, some hoses used to go towards under the hood, as you can see circled in red. What are their ways?

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
894 Posts
@slkbagnolet have a look at this post Vacuum headlight adjuster So, to the best of my recollection, the connection from the manifold is a grey pipe which heads across to below the battery and through the multiport grommet to the adjuster - and from the adjuster the purple pipe comes back through the grommet below the battery to connect to the headlights. It's important to connect them the right way round to the adjuster. They are quite brittle and I used small silicone tube extensions, cut from a roll I had lying around, to make the connections easier after trimming the ends of the existing pipes.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok guys, gathering your precious info, I end up with this. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding:

Locally behind the glovebox only:
1] Green line 1: from switch to the vac "element" (which is close to the ac recirc valve and which comes back with spring force)
2] Green line 2: from switch to the reservoir tank

From under the hood:

3] Grey line: intake manifold > under the battery > grommet > reservoir tank
4] Lilac line: headlights > below the battery > grommet > headlight adjuster

@slkbagnolet have a look at this post Vacuum headlight adjuster So, to the best of my recollection, the connection from the manifold is a grey pipe which heads across to below the battery and through the multiport grommet to the adjuster - and from the adjuster the purple pipe comes back through the grommet below the battery to connect to the headlights. It's important to connect them the right way round to the adjuster. They are quite brittle and I used small silicone tube extensions, cut from a roll I had lying around, to make the connections easier after trimming the ends of the existing pipes.
Is the adjuster = vacuum reservoir/tank?

Don't hesitate to comment!

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The adjuster is the little wheel that fits in the hole next to the light switch.
Ok so I guess you did a mistake by writing that the grey line coming from the grommet was going to the adjuster... you meant the reservoir tank right (as @Murat said).
Only the purple line is coming from the headlight adjuster.

Do you agree?

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
894 Posts
No I don't agree.:LOL: The reservoir tank is not involved in this at all. Have another look at the diagram in the link I gave you.

·
*Registered
1998 SLK200
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys,
Any idea why my ac recirc valve is not opening as before? I thought it was a vacuum hoses problem but they seem to be all plugged so I don't know.
i'm live from my car
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply

1 - 20 of 29 Posts