Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to driving 4 cyl vehicles [even my jeep is a 4]. So when I got the v6 I really didn't know what to expect.

Now that ive been driving it for basically a month, I realize that I'm not the fastest off the line when the light turns green, and I'm not the bob and weave through traffic on the regular roads. Even on the expressway I'm noticing that if anyone wants to pass, it would take the pedal to the metal approach to keep them in my rear view mirror.

So here is the rub, I feel the "sweet" spot for my car is about 70-80mph. At that rate of speed, consistently she handles like a dream and can move seamlessly in and out of any pattern of traffic. There is nothing enhanced about her and she's not a v8 and she's not the amg.

I keep reading all of the different threads about speed and performance and I can't help but wonder, am I missing something? Is it supposed to be doing something speed wise that I'm just not understanding? She drives impeccable. I don't think im missing anything. But I am not one that would ever know how a 10 year old benz should be performing. I think its fine.

Should I be able to jump people off the line? 0 - 40 in ?? maybe its just not made for that? Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,266 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice link Jeff I forgot to add that to the maintenance list.
I'm assuming there's nothing too special about the Techron..
1) buy a 12 oz bottle
2) before filling with gas add it in
3) profit?

As far as performance goes I have an 2001 320 and can easily go 0-80 mph in under 10 sec. How much under I'm not sure but I'd say around 8's. Now I'll have to find a safe way to time it ha.
I have a manual so if I'm pushing her I'm shifting into 4th at 80 =)

I don't tend to jump off the line so couldn't give you much there. I get a ton of ricer civics that pull up and want to race but I just laugh and watching them take off pouring black smoke.

·
97,266 Posts
i think they did away with the 12 gal not oz bottle and just have 15 gal and 20 gal now. gallon being size u r putting it in of course

·
97,266 Posts
just looked at the bottle. the 10 oz size says 15 gallons on it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got it. So pretty close to a 1-1 oz to gallon match up. I'll just go less by say 2-3 oz to avoid any possible issues. Thanks as always.

·
97,266 Posts
of course if you use chevron or texaco exclusively you are already getting the benefit of techron.

·
97,266 Posts
she will get addicted to it now.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,479 Posts
Jeff, I have heard of drinking the kool-aid, nice to know you drink the Techron! Do we need to stage an intervention for you?

·
97,266 Posts
heck no, i'm getting great mileage on my walking shoes!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Getting back to the original question...... My 320 has less than 18,000 mile and should be pretty close in performance to a new car. A well running car should do 0-60 in 7-7.5 secs, 1/4 mile in 14's and 93-98 mph. When I got the car, I felt it performed about the same as my Bluetec turbo diesel, and the numbers bear out my conclusion. You are going to be in the same league as a BMW Z3 3.0 etc. It is not a slow car, but not a stoplight monster either. That is what the SLK32 was/is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.