Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I bought an R170 last. It was advertised as 2.0, but badged SLK230, which didn’t really bother me at the time, badges are easily changed.

However, v5 came back last night, it’s not looking as I’d expect it. No model listed, only ‘make’ Mercedes. Model is blank. Engine size states 2000,and engine number ‘not known’. I ran a vin decoder thing last night which confirmed it’s a 230, so have a note of the original engine number which I’ll check against the car at the weekend, and can get that changed on v5 if necessary.

My question is, what do your v5’s say against ‘model’? I seem to have a knack for finding motors that are a bit ‘wrong’ :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
Now you've got me looking at my V5 .......

Model is listed as SLK32 AMG, and body type as CONVERTIBLE

..... and for our friends across the pond the V5 is a Registration Certificate in the UK :smile:

EDIT: After enlarging your picture, there is a lot of information missing off that V5 :surprise:

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
729 Posts
Ha! That's funny because my South Australian registration certificate calls mine a sedan. Now I know I'm not the only one. It doesn't list engine size but it's got the number of cylinders right - 6 (we are charged by the number of cylinders).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

..... and for our friends across the pond the V5 is a Registration Certificate in the UK :smile:

EDIT: After enlarging your picture, there is a lot of information missing off that V5 :surprise:
Perfect, that’s what I needed to know, thanks! :grin:

Yeah there’s a lot of blank spaces. Doesn’t particularly worry me, so long as engine details and the like are correct. Goodness knows why it’s they way it is :surprise::frown:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
I'm not sure how things work if/when someone does an engine swap... for example, if someone took the 200K engine out of another car and transplanted it into your SLK at some point in the past, how would things look on the V5 then (assuming whoever might have done that also notified the DVLA).

Would be interesting to know whether engine numbers match or not (although I wouldn't expect them to as engine capacity doesn't match the 230K designation that this VIN shipped from the factory with).

I also extracted a datacard from MB's EPC for you (similar to what you probably already have from the VIN decoder) - see attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Avel Du and Cotter

·
Registered
193 Posts
Perhaps get the V5 amended to be more accurate. I once bought a fiesta which had the wrong engine number on the V5 and they amended without batting an eyelid.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how things work if/when someone does an engine swap... for example, if someone took the 200K engine out of another car and transplanted it into your SLK at some point in the past, how would things look on the V5 then (assuming whoever might have done that also notified the DVLA).

Would be interesting to know whether engine numbers match or not (although I wouldn't expect them to as engine capacity doesn't match the 230K designation that this VIN shipped from the factory with).

I also extracted a datacard from MB's EPC for you (similar to what you probably already have from the VIN decoder) - see attached.
Thanks Dave, appreciated :tu: There’s a bit more info on your Datacard than I had - I now know the official name for ‘Quality Street green triangle’ green :laugh:

I’ll try and get some time at the weekend to check out the engine number, see what’s what.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
Be careful.

I'm particularly thinking insurance wise here.

If your ins states 230 (as it will based on vin), but you are driving a 2.0 I have no idea of the outcome.
Or, you informed ins it is 2.0 (as you were told) something happens & they check vin and get 230.

Best check that engine number asap.

If this invalidates your ins (I'm NOT saying it will) and you were stopped,
the consequences could be potentially expensive.

@Cotter

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
174 Posts

Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.