Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Donor Conversion
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I saw this on the Telegraph today: I know it's from a little while ago but it's still ridiculous.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Those Volvos get everywhere..... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm not having a pop at you, it's just my twisted sense of humour...

·
Registered
659 Posts
My 6'3" 230 lb next door neighbor (who drives a Saturn VUE -suv-) commented that I have a "chick car"... ya, coming from a guy who drives a MOMMY VAN!

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
My 6'3" 230 lb next door neighbor (who drives a Saturn VUE -suv-) commented that I have a "chick car"... ya, coming from a guy who drives a MOMMY VAN!
Very funny at least our car comes with plastic windscreen, what did they give him when he picked his van a skirt..lol

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
I hear this as well now and then. I also got this comment quite a bit in the past when I was driving my Del Sol.

So what about the SLKs qualifies it as a chick car? Is there a commonly accepted - albeit unspoken - set of criteria for what constitutes a "chick car"? Is it a combination of 2-seater plus short overall length? I never understood this.

I also saw a comment somewhere on a board that the SLK was the "cartoon version" of the SL :).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had that comment a few times. I'm finding myself replacing my verbal responses with blank, silent stares more and more often.

It's amazing how uncomfortable people get when they think they've cleverly insulted you and you just look at them for a few seconds and continue on with your business. They have no idea whether you comprehended the comment and if you did, they have no idea if you were insulted or not.

The long silence is usually followed up by some sort of clumsy topic change or pathetic apology. Once that happens I give them a polite smile and say "awkward".

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
My son has a 1995 600+ hp Supra. Impresses the hell out if the guys at the track.

I have a stock slk230.

I often kid him about how he impresses the guys with his car and the girls are impressed with my car. Then I ask him...who do you WANT to impress?

When anyone says it is a chick car...I agree and say yep, your right, the chicks really like it! :biglaugh:

·
Donor Conversion
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all ...

Well, while the "girl's car" thing amuses me, I was trying to draw attention to the fact that the picture is of a pre-facelift R170 but the article is about the R171 SLK 55AMG. I'm told the 55AMG has, as well as a different engine, different bonnet, lights, grill, wheels, and mirrors, but seems no one notices.

Must all be eating too much chocolate!

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

·
Registered
659 Posts
oh you should have heard the crap I got on the corvette forums when I bought my SLK. One guy said that the SLK had ugly "lines". I posted this pic to show how the ugly lines are sure similar to the cars he worships so highly. Some people are just.... ah nevermind.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If it really is a chicks car then how come most of the members on here are men????
I love it and do give **** what other peoples opinions are, just drive slowly away whilst dropping the roof.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Chicks car???

My son has a 1995 600+ hp Supra. Impresses the hell out if the guys at the track.

I have a stock slk230.

I often kid him about how he impresses the guys with his car and the girls are impressed with my car. Then I ask him...who do you WANT to impress?

When anyone says it is a chick car...I agree and say yep, your right, the chicks really like it! :biglaugh:
How about: "You only wished you had one!!"

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Porsche crowd calls D-B cars with drop tops "German Thunderbirds." The BMW crowd calls D-B cars 'German Buicks.'

I hear this as well now and then. I also got this comment quite a bit in the past when I was driving my Del Sol.

So what about the SLKs qualifies it as a chick car? Is there a commonly accepted - albeit unspoken - set of criteria for what constitutes a "chick car"? Is it a combination of 2-seater plus short overall length? I never understood this.

I also saw a comment somewhere on a board that the SLK was the "cartoon version" of the SL :).

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have a buddy in the car biz who didn't even give me credit for having a "chick car"; he called it a *nasty slang for guys who like guys* hairdresser's car. He has a 370Z, so when I asked if he wanted to race for "pinks" (titles), he quieted down.

I really like the comeback to the chick car comment of "yup, you're right, chicks really like my car!"

In the end, it only matters to me that I like the car, and I do!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Chick Car, ya right. The yellow 08 Vette I lapped two times on the track last month gained great respect for my little girlie SLK 350. I was very polite to him after we got off the track......I just gave him a friendly
Bitc* Slap. :rb Don't ya just love having cars as a sport.

·
Registered
23 Posts
oh for cryin' out loud. I just realized that I'm 50 years old, and it still gets under my skin when somebody teases me about my toys. I laughed at the above comments. I decided that several are going to be added to my repertoire... :Beer:

and then I thought:

No wonder my wife laughs at me! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
If it really is a chicks car then how come most of the members on here are men????
According to MB, more chicks drive and own the SLK than men do, and in fact they target most of their advertising towards women.
(for R170s, over 60% female, R171 have just under 60% female).

There are more male members on the forums because ALL online forums have a larger male representation.

BTW, i think the OP was actually commenting that the pictured car is clearly a R170 SLK 230, not a SLK 55.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had the same impression (chick car) of the SLK and only bought it 'cause my wife wanted a M-B convertible to tool around town in. As it turned out, she doesn't like to drive it, ...to low for her taste. I wound up with it by default and find it to be a much more capable sports car than I thought it to be. Had I been buying for my use, I would have bought a MX5 or perhaps a Z4 or TT and never known how capable the SLK is.

According to MB, more chicks drive and own the SLK than men do, and in fact they target most of their advertising towards women.
(for R170s, over 60% female, R171 have just under 60% female).

There are more male members on the forums because ALL online forums have a larger male representation.

BTW, i think the OP was actually commenting that the pictured car is clearly a R170 SLK 230, not a SLK 55.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts