Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fine folks of the SLK universe. It’s been awhile, I hope all is well. As stated in the subject line, I’m wondering if MB STAR DAS can be used to read DTCs from non-Mercedes products. Any input on this subject would be much appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,437 Posts
Actually, DAS only works with Mercedes products. It handshakes to make sure it is a Mercedes. Product liability you know.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, DAS only works with Mercedes products. It handshakes to make sure it is a Mercedes. Product liability you know.
Interesting. I have VW specific software on different laptop, yet I’m told it will read generic codes. I have yet to test the theroy.

Welcome back!
Thank you thank you thank you. I plan to stay awhile :;

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
There are generic OBD-II codes and there are manufacturer specific. It is entirely possible that a device would read generic codes. Torque Pro for $5 can and can clear most.

In the handhelds the most cost effective I've found is the Autel DiagLink for under a Benjamin. One vehicle line (Mercedes/Sprinter/Smart are in the Benz module) come free. Others are $10 each (I have Benz, GM, and Chrysler).

So it may be possible to use a DAS as a $5 scanner. Wouldn't know, I don't have one.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,400 Posts
Guys let clarify:
Das/xentry/Star/hht are software ( and you still need the hardware )
C3/c4/c5/c6 and J2534 ( only can ) are hardware

You can not use das+c3/c4/c5 on any other brands them Mercedes but can use a J2534 with modified software on Mercedes with limited function.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts