Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USA - Any interest in Nationwide SLK meet summer 2020?

CANCELLED 
8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  cousjcc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mods: sorry if this is wrong spot, didnt want to restrict this to one US region. I thought maybe SLK general discussion, but it's an "event" hopefully... so...

I am hoping to see if there is any interest in a nationwide SLK meet and cruise next summer (2020). This will require plenty of advance planning and preparation, as well as choosing a meeting spot as central as possible to all participants.

I recall one in the past in Vegas in my early years on the forum. My suggestion would be early summer (Mid may) before the big storm season kicks in, or perhaps an early fall meetup (October?) after the storm season is over.

Depending on who all confirms participation, we can either aim for a location that splits the difference between all distance-wise, or if folks would rather we can aim for scenery over location (Northeast USA for fall foliage, West Coast for views, or North Central like Minnesota for the lakes and cooler temps in summer).

Please reply with your location, your preferred timing (May, Mid summer, or October), and if you have a preference on meeting locale. This will be an ongoing planning process.

1. May, June, or October drive-in meet and cruise (this may vastly limit our participants depending on location). Participants would handle their own hotel arrangements as arrival times may vary.

2. May, June, or October fly-in meet and venture to shows and interesting dining establishments (think foodie tour, eat your way through New York for instance). I can handle making arrangements for reserving a block of hotel rooms given enough advance planning and firm commitments to attend.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Yeah if I cant get a nationwide thing going I might have to start joining the Southeast/Florida meets. Texas is just too dang big even those of us that are here are hours apart from one another. But hopefully we can get something big together nationally for next year. You guys might be seeing me in October though.

I went to a Hot Rod night here locally and was the ONLY non "American" car there (even though very large percentages of "American" cars are built overseas or in Mexico). The Shelby Cobra owner parked next to me was visibly annoyed by my presence lol. I dont get that tribalism. I like sports cars and hot rods, old and new, foreign and domestic.

#4 ·
the heck with shelby and mustangs owners :D

see my videos/threads in driving story section if you have not :D

#5 ·
I would have some interest in a Nation wide meet. Went to Vegas twice for meets in the past and had a great time on both occasions. Although we have flown in and meet up with the Florida group and hope to do so again (If they will have me). I think the 3,000 plus mile drive would take to much time. Also if to early in the spring or to late in the fall, those of us in the NW will have a couple mountain ranges to cross if it is held in the mid-west. For me snow is a no go in the SLK.

Really like the thought of another Nation wide / World meet though. Even if I have to leave the SLK at home and fly in.

Dave

#7 ·
I could be potentially interested. Lots would need to fall in place for me to make it tho'... I am in the North East, and best times for me would be Summer time.... with a driving distance no more than 700 miles from Boston, MA in any direction.... That would be my max driving distance for a Nationwide meet-up.

But an excellent idea if it will ever get off the ground and be a reality.

Reactions: simplyslk
#8 ·
If driving distance in our SLKs is an issue (not to mention possible snow in mountain passes as mentioned), we could consider a meet and hang rather than a meet and cruise. I do remember that only a few participants within driving range brought their SLKs to the Vegas meet I went to.

We could all just fly in and take in some shows, which would leave either Vegas or NYC as the most logical destinations. It can be fun just meeting our fellow SLKers in person. I'll give it a few weeks here on this thread for others to chime in that might be interested.

Options:

1. May, June, or October drive-in meet and cruise (this may vastly limit our participants depending on location). Participants would handle their own hotel arrangements as arrival times may vary.

2. May, June, or October fly-in meet and venture to shows and interesting dining establishments (think foodie tour, eat your way through New York for instance). I can handle making arrangements for reserving a block of hotel rooms given enough advance planning and firm commitments to attend.

#9 · (Edited)
@cousjcc

This sounds good but would require a whole lot of commitment on your part. I have planned over 100+ SLK Meets, drives & lunches & it requires a lot of time even for a small group. A National SLK group meet would drive me crazy just planning/communicating & making reservations for Hotels,Dinners & Road-trips. I would consider going however if it was maybe Lake Tahoe & I might possibly help you plan it. The West coast SLK’ers have done that before I think in 2014?
See link below for that event.
https://www.slkworld.com/u-s-california/148162-west-coast-slk-event-info-may-16th-17th-18th.html

https://www.slkworld.com/u-s-califo...-meet-s-lake-tahoe-may-16th-17th-18th-16.html

Reactions: simplyslk
#12 ·
Interested in either Colorado mountains, or Vegas. Early September for Colorado, or May, October for Vegas. Great idea! I could help with route planning for Colorado. That's the start of lower prices in the mountains, so room arrangements would be easier and less expensive.

#13 ·
I am definitely interested. As stated by others, date and place will be the main determiners. It needs to be a cruise, so picking a location with a particularly interesting route (or routes if several can be driven over a few days) is key.

I wouldn't be as interested in a fly-in type of event. It is the cars that brings us together as a group, so sans cars doesn't really work for me. If some of the attendees are solo, then seats can be made available for those that wish to fly in.

It is interesting that I saw this article today

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tr...state/ss-BBSnHPE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=1

#14 ·
I agree that flying in isn't ideal because we have these cars to drive them, but driving to meet just isn't as feasible for nearly as many people. Flying in, with locals or anyone willing to make the drive, offers the best chance for wide participation.

Once we get less than a year out and have a venue agreed upon, I will try and get in touch with lodging arrangements. One thing I do personally that some might not be as familiar with is Air BnB. If we have, say, 10-15 participants we might be able to rent out an entire large house for $200-300 per night as opposed to individual hotel rooms. That breaks out to $20-30per person per night assuming 10 participants. I'd say Early May or Early October is the most likely date. I'll leave this post here with options for date, place, and lodging to gauge interest and give it some more time for those that haven't seen the thread yet. Please reply with your vote for each option.

DATE range:
1. Early May
2. Early October

2. Las Vegas
3. Central California (Monterrey area, pebble beach)

Lodging:
1. Large Air BnB house (if feasible for number of guests)
2. Individual Hotel rooms (pre arranged block of rooms must be paid in advance)
3. Individual hotel rooms (DiY make your own hotel arrangements, I remember doing this for Vegas in 2009, not sure if others got a block of rooms)

#19 ·
Northern Arkansas might work. Nearer the center of mass for better attendance, nice scenery, good drives, good accommodations, good weather, little or no snow. Almost went there myself last spring. I've wanted to do the Talimena Scenic Drive for years, but can't anyone to go with me. It's best in the fall, of course.

#20 ·
That isnt a bad idea. Vegas has shows but let's be honest, scenic drives beat shows any day and I have heard of some awesome drives in Arkansas. And it's almost bang smack center of CONUS.

Mods: Can we add a poll in the OP with multiple votes (location to include lake tahoe, california coast, vegas, arkansas), time (may or oct), and arrangements (hotel group, hotel diy, or air bnb group).

Are multiple polls in one post even possible??

#23 ·
I am going to start some soft inquiries into lodging in northern Arkansas in early to mid october 2020. A nice fall foliage cruise through the ozarks sounds amazing and I dont think there is nearly enough interest at this early stage for a poll prior to preliminary planning. My plan is to drive up then fly my wife in for the weekend since she will be working, assuming I take a week off for it.

#24 ·
I'd be interested in attending a drive in meet. As a suggestion last weekend was at Fontana Lodge North Carolina , they cater to multiple single brand car groups and there are multiple driving roads in the area. (most famous Tail of the Dragon) .

Distance not much of a factor for me , it was 5400 km round trip to North Carolina.

#28 ·
So unforrunately this is going to be a no-go, at least for me. Our hospital is on lockdown and everyone's vacation has been cancelled until summer at least. Due to that, those of us with fall vacation time planned have been told our weeks will be bumped to allow those that had their spring and early summer weeks cancelled to take theirs. This is going to bump my week for a fall meet and leaf peeping cruise to mid or even late winter.

Dang covid19 is ruinin all our fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.