Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks! I want to attract the attention of those people who want to change their 3d brake light on their SLK R170 to clear or smoke version. I've searched and searched. There are no sellers in the US! And the only seller is in Germany. It offers two versions: Clear and Smoke.
Here are the links:

Clear went up from 26,80 EUR to 31,50 EUR which roughly translates to $41.29 (was 35.15)
http://www.carparts-online.de/shop/Teile-fuer-Mercedes/SLK-R170-R171/Mercedes-SLK-R170-CLK-3-Bremsleuchte-in-KLARGLAS::5340.html

Smoke is 41,50 EUR which roughly translates to $54.68
http://www.carparts-online.de/shop/Teile-fuer-Mercedes/SLK-R170-R171/Mercedes-SLK-R170-CLK-W208-3-BREMSLEUCHTE-KLARGLAS-SMOKE::11279.html

Sounds not expensive, right?!
The problem is that the shipping costs 55 EUR (approx. $71.60)!
BUT! I talked to the guys and they told they can ship 20 units in one batch for that price.
So I thought I'd try to organize a group buy, if there are some people who wanted it but couldn't find we can try to save on shipping now. I thought if we can get people we'd split this 55 EUR since it seems reasonable. Even if we find 10 people it's around $7.116 per person + whatever USPS will charge here in the US so I can ship them to you after they arrive to me. (I'd assume between $10-15)

So rough calculations will show that Smoke version will cost $54.68 + $7.116 (per person to ship to the US from Germany) + $12 (per person local shipping in the US) = $73.796.

whereas if you'd buy it yourself it would cost $125.62 for one unit. :mad:

So what do you guys think?! Any suggestions, considerations, thoughts?! Please share! :tu:

The money will be collected through PayPal! As soon as we get enough people I'll let everybody know where to send them!

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
My only concern with smoked lights is weather its legal in the states, being smoked you tend to lose the brightness and create a safety hazard.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,950 Posts
Count me in for the CLEAR!

Now if I can only find the clear/chrome taillights, I know they are out there somewhere, I'd be one happy camper!

Reactions: JaysonM

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only concern with smoked lights is weather its legal in the states, being smoked you tend to lose the brightness and create a safety hazard.
Oh, these are not just like people do "tinted". These are really bright! I got a set of fully smoke LEDs and I'm amazed how bright they are! It's just the plastic they're made of is somewhat tinted, but the light output is bright! Here's my post from a while ago. I took pictures of my smoked lights at night
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/30747-fully-smoked-led-tail-lights-r170-slk-230-320-installation.html#post323586
I hate when some people apply a tint on their tail lights so they look "cool". You can even barely see some of their brake lights even at night! I hope the law will be passed some day which forbids tail light tint!
But these LED ones are a different story! :tu:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Oh, these are not just like people do "tinted". These are really bright! I got a set of fully smoke LEDs and I'm amazed how bright they are! It's just the plastic they're made of is somewhat tinted, but the light output is bright! Here's my post from a while ago. I took pictures of my smoked lights at night
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/30747-fully-smoked-led-tail-lights-r170-slk-230-320-installation.html#post323586
I hate when some people apply a tint on their tail lights so they look "cool". You can even barely see some of their brake lights even at night! I hope the law will be passed some day which forbids tail light tint!
But these LED ones are a different story! :tu:
WOW, those are bright! they look great. My car is firemist red so i'm not sure how the smoked taillight's would look, someday i may take the chance and get a pair.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, those are bright! they look great. My car is firemist red so i'm not sure how the smoked taillight's would look, someday i may take the chance and get a pair.
Here, I looked this post up especially for you!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1576484-black-angel-eyes-smoked-rear-third.html
I can bet my hand Red LED ones will look awesome on your fire mist red! In fact the red LED tail lights will look cool on any color of the SLK :tu:
This guy got also third smoke brake light but shows the picture only when the lights are on... (BTW, that's where I came across with the smoke version and wanted it so bad since then :biglaugh:).

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I bought mine in 2006 for my SLK32 it cost me $150 before shipping. I thought that was an error but it wasn't. I bought it anyway because was the first time I had seen them available in over 6 months.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Count me in for a smoked one. Let me know if you get enough people to make it work and where to send the money and when. Do you take pay-pal? :tu:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I bought mine in 2006 for my SLK32 it cost me $150 before shipping. I thought that was an error but it wasn't. I bought it anyway because was the first time I had seen them available in over 6 months.
Ouch....!! That was really expensive then! But rare things do get a tendency to be expensive. How was your experience with it btw?!

Count me in for a smoked one. Let me know if you get enough people to make it work and where to send the money and when. Do you take pay-pal? :tu:
Sure, I'll let everybody know! In fact the PayPal would be the best way! I think I should mention that above.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It defiantly made the car look a lot better, after my 32 was totaled I put it on my 320. It still looks good on the car today, I just need to take it off and clean the rubber piece inside. The first time I put it on the car I broke a few of the tabs, so you will need some pliers when removing the lens.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Come on 170 SLK owners mod up your cars, at this great price we need more to come aboard to defer the shipping. :sBannana2

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on folks! Let's bring some uniqueness to our cars!

·
Registered
82 Posts
my next project is to replace the tail light with LED and this 3rd brake light, but still debating on the color. my 2002 slk320 is white color, what would be better on that between red/clear or red/smoke? so i can get the 3rd brake light accordingly
thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my next project is to replace the tail light with LED and this 3rd brake light, but still debating on the color. my 2002 slk320 is white color, what would be better on that between red/clear or red/smoke? so i can get the 3rd brake light accordingly
thanks
Hmmm... I think it all depends on which LED lights you want. If you want Smoked then the smoke 3d brake light would be better in my opinion. But if you want red then there's a good chance your stock one would match just perfectly! But who knows, may be the clear one will fit white color nicely!:tu: Wait till other members jump in with their opinions.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.