Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Thank you, that is the one I requested the datasheet for but since I mentioned the balancer gear issue (and sent links), when I went to the lot (about 25 miles), the car was not available and it has been a week since they have responded to an e-Mail. BTW the white one in Pembroke Pines was advertised as a manual but turned out to be an automagic. May have to go with plan B, a Cadillac XLR (also a DOHC retractible 2-seater).

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,548 Posts
Thank you, that is the one I requested the datasheet for but since I mentioned the balancer gear issue (and sent links), when I went to the lot (about 25 miles), the car was not available and it has been a week since they have responded to an e-Mail. BTW the white one in Pembroke Pines was advertised as a manual but turned out to be an automagic. May have to go with plan B, a Cadillac XLR (also a DOHC retractible 2-seater).
ummm they don't make those anymore for a reason you know...:D

and no one is as friendly and helpful as we slkers are

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
True, could say the same about the Merc 90 degree V6s. However an SLK280 or 350 is still "Plan A" but a manual trans (really a five speed with a granny gear - same trans they use in Jeep Wranglers to go up the side of a wall, first is best for malls and parades) seem to be a rare beast indeed, next closest I found was Jackson Miss.

ps I do tend to see things from the technical side and have a preference for DOHC 6s. Also like to play with my toys (friend said I have more tools and equipment in my back garage than Edd China though I prefer a scissors lift) & since am now retired have more time for them. Also have a dual (EE/ME) degree from GMI (now Kettering) and my most valuable is Sir Harry's book.

So really enjoy good engineering (though why on earth they put a counterweight on the back of the balancer shaft but did not make the gear removable is beyond me...)

Make more sense now ? BTW am also of Scot heritage.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Strange, thought I could edit now.
. . . . .
Yes, you probably can (having more than 15 posts)... However, only mods and admins can edit posts in the For Sale sections of the forum. :D

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,548 Posts

Horrible lump of apowerplant :D
only 15000 made
higher insurance than hellcat
headgasket failure
bolts backing themselves out

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Hey: I resemble that remark.

- have over 500 albums on my cell phone (why I need either Bluetooth or an AUX jack)
- prefer Seger's Night Moves particularly the sequence in American Pop.
- have a lot of experience with the nine TSBs for head bolt tightening of the Quad-4/Northstar/ShortStar (Aurora)
- XLR has a full set of gauges
- have been a number of Caddys in my past, mostly from '60s. (Mentioned am a GMI grad) also several 'vettes including a B/P FI split window.

OTOH
V8 not 6
Automagic trans
Despite the strange 6-speed (usu start in 2nd), I like my 170 clone.

ps Autosource says they have sold the SLK350 so still looking for an SLK350 or 280 with a manual trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.