Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 slk 230 kompressor has doggy wiring from the radio and has caused what the garage termed as "feedback" and damaged the ECU.
I`ve sourced another but I desperately need to know if the unit is "coded".
He said this means its only applicable to my car and a 2nd hand replacement may not work.

Does anyone know the true facts please?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
You will want to read this:

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/25ame-jusdt-replaced-ecu-mrecedesx-benz-slk-230.html

Hello OK well that's good that the engine started but still do not know what the problem is\was?? to answer your question about the ecu, when the ecu is new its unlocked\not married to the car, after 40 starts of the engine the ecu is then married or locked to the VIN # XXXXX etc!! so reprogramming is not the answer you must get the ecu unlocked\unmarried from the used car old Vin!!! ( there is only 1 company that i know of that even attempts such a thing. Beckman Technologies in North Carolina there are on line!! i still am scratching my head about no crank, you have a bladed key, still next time no crack , get out of the car lock unlock using remote then try to start engine, if still no start try different key, still no engine start after second key go bang on K40 relay!! that K40 relay is a trouble some part intermittent problems, the fuse will always test OK , but what you need to be testing is the relay side of the fuse pack, hope some of this information helped, please let me know how i can help some more??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice.

It seems the garage was correct and a 2nd hand unit is no good.
This unit will have to go away to a "fixer".
I will report back when repairs are complete.

Thanks slk230chick

·
Registered
351 Posts
Please be sure to report back - who and where the "fixer" is. Also what it cost to have it done. At that point I think I'd be tempted to just replace the OEM radio with a newer more full function unit.

Also - it would at least "seem" like M/B is unfairly restraining trade with that computer setup... Class Action Law Suite perhaps?

At the very least - it would seem that any Dealer should be required by law to "unlock" either your ECU or the replacement "radio" for you - at no charge. Provided you have a legal bill of sale for the unit. If the true intention in the first place was to prevent thieft

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wineprovider did not say that the "doggy" radio wiring was OEM wiring. As far as "unlocking" an aftermarket ECU, MFGs are required by law to sell parts and information to customers and third parties to allow service of their products, not provide them for free (in the USA). This is not the case in many other countries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.