Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just bought our first SLK, the interior upholstery, door cards and dash is a cream coloured, unfortunately wear and tear has left black marks or more likely the colour has worn off.

Can anyone recommend a polish or product that will take this back to original colour.
Thanks in anticipation.

Ps can`t show any photos as we don`t pick the car up until the 13th Dec.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
IIRC in the UK there are crafstmen that can recondition the leather and use MB OEM leather color to bring them back to "as good as new".

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
As the car in question is an R170, I suspect the color has simply peeled off, which is a known problem. There are some threads on this forum where people show how they've essentially repainted their interiors to great effect, but it's a big job!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re-painting

Have done a little internet searching and found a company not far from where we live, company called "The Scratch Doctor" one of the products is a repair & recolour dye stain pigment paint price is £7.95 for 60ml which might just be answer.
Realise it won`t be an easy job but one well worth tackling.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have done a little internet searching and found a company not far from where we live, company called "The Scratch Doctor" one of the products is a repair & recolour dye stain pigment paint price is £7.95 for 60ml which might just be answer.
Realise it won`t be an easy job but one well worth tackling.
I have redone a couple of interiors and taking them apart is the worst part of the job. Removing the old latex is best done by soaking them in warm water overnight. I sprayed the first couple with a Krylon plastic paint. Results were good but on the last one I wrapped them with vinyl and the results were fantastic, looks like real leather. It takes a little practice and a hot air gun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have redone a couple of interiors and taking them apart is the worst part of the job. Removing the old latex is best done by soaking them in warm water overnight. I sprayed the first couple with a Krylon plastic paint. Results were good but on the last one I wrapped them with vinyl and the results were fantastic, looks like real leather. It takes a little practice and a hot air gun.
Do you have any pics of the finished result? I like the standard slk 170 interior, but if I could achieve a leather look, then that would be awesome.

I have refurbished the leather interior on my BMW Z3, including repairing holes and cracks and the seats came out like brand new.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We have just bought our first SLK, the interior upholstery, door cards and dash is a cream coloured, unfortunately wear and tear has left black marks or more likely the colour has worn off.

Can anyone recommend a polish or product that will take this back to original colour.
Thanks in anticipation.

Have just sent for some Marlin Blue for my 320 from Germany they supply the other colours as well, going to try sponge and dab tequnique, I'll try and get some before and after photos.

Regards Stuart.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Thanks in anticipation.

Afternoon Chrissy

I have posted some before and after pics of some painting I did today, used a spray can and sprayed a small quantity of paint into a small container then used a small piece of a baby sponge to apply the paint (degreased the area first with isopropile alchahol ) results are not bad will give another coat next week.

Posted in what did you do to your SLK today
Regards Stuart.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interior

Afternoon Chrissy

I have posted some before and after pics of some painting I did today, used a spray can and sprayed a small quantity of paint into a small container then used a small piece of a baby sponge to apply the paint (degreased the area first with isopropile alchahol ) results are not bad will give another coat next week.

Posted in what did you do to your SLK today
Regards Stuart.
Hi Stuart,

Those photos are excellent a real improvement, did you use their primer first or just go over the colour, and hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks Chrissie. R)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Those photos are excellent a real improvement, did you use their primer first or just go over the colour, and hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks Chrissie. R)

Evening Chrissy, I did not use any primer just dabbed a small piece of sponge into the paint then dabbed the degreased / damaged area, it dries pretty quickly and can be dabbed again while the first coat is damp, gave it three thin coats then left to dry, only used a couple of cc's a little goes a long way.

REgards Stuart

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Evening Chrissy, I did not use any primer just dabbed a small piece of sponge into the paint then dabbed the degreased / damaged area, it dries pretty quickly and can be dabbed again while the first coat is damp, gave it three thin coats then left to dry, only used a couple of cc's a little goes a long way.

REgards Stuart

Good morning Stuart, a very frosty and white over one here brrr.
Thanks for the information it is very helpful and reassuring for us when we haven`t tackled a task like this.

Will order the paint today and when the weather is kinder hopefully we will make as good as job as you have.

Regards Chrissy

·
Registered
348 Posts
The only other thing I used was a bit of masking tape to give a bit of protection to the bits I did not want paint on. Good luck with your project, I bought the baby sponges from Tesco got 2 in a pack should be enough to do what I want.

Regards Stuart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts