Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK350
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into upgrading my R171 COMAND system. My first thought is to use a R172 system but I don't know what features it has. I know that it does have a 6 CD changer, which I want to keep for Books-on-"tape". Is it touch screen? That's the main feature I'd like to get. Does it have a USB port?

Does anyone know if these systems are interchangeable?

Thanks

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
But to answer your questions, its not tactile, I do not think the CD changer is part of it (I do not have one) and yes there is a USB port.

Actually, the USB port is in the wrong place. It is in the console glove box. I got a Christmas present of a USB stick in the form of a very realistic Mercedes key fob which of course, the effect is wasted now…!

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Best of luck there ...

The screen is a seperate item too, so a fair bit of fabrication will be needed.... plus some clever electrical and coding work ........

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
There are much simpler easier options out there .

Get a pioneer unit touch screen bluetooth sat nav and ......
Or the chinese unit S150 or the newer S160 Android based to .
And it matches well with the dash layout . :grin:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
But to answer your questions, its not tactile, I do not think the CD changer is part of it (I do not have one) and yes there is a USB port.
I'm 99.9% sure there are two versions of the R172 COMAND unit. One has a 6-disc changer and the other only has a single slot. In the one with the 6 disc changer, all the discs feed in through the single slot and you press buttons to change between the discs.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK350
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Actually, the USB port is in the wrong place. It is in the console glove box. I got a Christmas present of a USB stick in the form of a very realistic Mercedes key fob which of course, the effect is wasted now…!
Thanks for answering my question and not hijacking the thread to correct my spelling.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Ouch!.........my apologies.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK350
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great help!

Thanks, anymore specific info on the Chinese units? I assume the two I found on e-bay are the ones you're referring to but they don't have the S150/S160 designations.

I've found that Kenwood has some too, Crutchfield reviews indicate the Nav is better than on the Pioneer.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
Thanks, anymore specific info on the Chinese units? I assume the two I found on e-bay are the ones you're referring to but they don't have the S150/S160 designations.

I've found that Kenwood has some too, Crutchfield reviews indicate the Nav is better than on the Pioneer.
If you look on here someones has posted reviews on the s150 /160 units etc
You poss may need a loom for full steering / dash views / controls .

Which is mentioned .
It all depends on your priority on what unit ticks your boxes more and is better at it .

You may just want bluetooth for calls and music streaming or one that has cd playback better or ...........

Google is your friend and slk world :)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK350
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Further research shows much dissatisfaction with Pioneer and Kenwood replacements. The Chinese Android 4.4 HUs look very good but don't have voice control. I guess I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for the help.:crying:

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
Further research shows much dissatisfaction with Pioneer and Kenwood replacements. The Chinese Android 4.4 HUs look very good but don't have voice control. I guess I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for the help.:crying:
But does not iphone connected via bluetooh to say the chinese unit you can use siri or androids version of siri
To use voice control to make calls ?

Christ im happy i can make phone calls via my merc unit using steering controls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.