Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of looking at the appearance of my '04 SLK32 console and decided to fit it up. The previous owner had already replaced the radio so it was my turn to improve the overall look. The console was scratched and I wanted to change/update the dark wood grain without going overboard. First I contacted a local professional auto paint center and they color matched the console. The paint was ~$35. With the console still in the car, I did a little masking and sprayed the scratched areas using an airbrush spray gun. I only wished I had taken a "before" picture in order for you to really appreciate the final outcome. Secondly I decided not to install a standard dash kit but opted to have a vinyl wrap shop cover the console and door handle area. I selected a 3M black carbon fiber wrap. Once it was installed I used a 1/8" chrome trim adhesive and placed it around the edge of the vinyl wrap. You can see the results in the picture attachment. Hope you enjoy the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I had the carbon fiber vinyl wrap applied directly over the wood parts. The wrap would not stick on the surface around the gauges or I would have it their too. I am anticipating a long lifespan since this material is made for the outside of cars. The tricky part in the project was getting the best fit for the chrome strip around the coin/ash tray door. It just took a one time trial and error to get it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.