Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I wanted to spruce up my instrument cluster a bit, with a facelift look..

My original cluster was this one:

I picked up this cluster on eBay and although I'm not exactly sure which model it's from, facelift or not (see this thread : https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-g...instrument-cluster-show-tell.html#post2619434 ) , I liked the look :

Now for the first twist; normally when changing the cluster the replacement one needs to be "cleared" of all data and then coded to your car, using DAS and the original cluster, but as I'm allergic to spending unnecessarily and my original cluster was ok pink shrimp wise, I decided to just take the clusters apart and swap the dials etc, but using my original cluster electronics and therefore bypassing the need for coding etc.

The second twist; I thought I'd take advantage, as I had the donor cluster taken apart and furthered my vinyl CF theme of the centre console etc.

So I went from this :

To this::grin:

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Like to red light reflections on the carbon-fiber inner surface of the instrument cluster :tu:

Reactions: curro101

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
55 Posts
Very nice work! Well done curro. I had done the same wrapping on my old cluster and that was the reason for breaking the one glass due to carelessness!:grin::grin:
Allow me a notice on the right side. Maybe cutting of the vinyl would be better in the lower side which is at the left of the ''tube''.
Congrats!

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made the cut at the top because there, once you're in the car, it's impossible to see as you can't get down low enough, at the bottom you'd see the join all the time...

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.