Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after fighting with the dealership for a little over a month now I've finally got my car running for more than 10 minutes without the check engine light coming on. I drove it on about a 70 mile round trip to play golf Sunday and to work yesterday and today (about a 40 mile round trip). No issues so far (fingers crossed). Thinking about taking a trip to my mother's house this weekend to really stretch her legs out (400 mile round trip) and see how she does. After that I'll change the oil because from the sticker on the window it will be close to time DIY of course.

But back to the dealership. Alright here is what they replaced:

1. The K40 relay (had that done before I realized I could check the soldering).
2. Replaced the MAF (aparently it was covered with oil).
3. Replaced the oil separator as it was leaking.
4.Replaced a check valve for the air injector as they more than likely broke the lines when the replaced other parts and I wasn't informed. (They did this for free as I also found one of their wrenches and the hose they replaced in my engine compartment).
5. They also replaced one of my radiator hoses for free as it had a nice sized hole in it and I wasn't made aware of it when they replaced the check valve.

They person handling me and my car was not to happy when I told her (and showed her pictures) about the wrench and broken lines. So she had the check valve and the radiator hose replaced for free, and should I decide to give them more business my next visit will come with a discount.

So I have mixed feelings about going back. The person handling me is great. Very nice and professional, but the techs leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it was just the particular tech that worked on my car when I found the wrench. All the other work I've had them do outside the engine is top notch. I do have other things that need done that I simply do not have the means to DIY otherwise I would look into it.

Also another problem I have with the dealership is that the receptionist is extremely attractive and every time I've gone in there I've had a list of things to tell them but I take one look at her and become completely stupid and forget some of it. I hate myself sometimes.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I would say keep the rapor going with the service manager...and ask for the mechanic that actually works on the car to sign off on the sheet. If he comes up short again, TELL THE SERVICE MANAGER.

As for the receptionist...ARE YOU MARRIED? IF not, then get on with it man!! Often, very attractive women don't get asked out at all. I might suggest something along the line of -walk up with a business face on.. "I have a complaint. I've been in X times to get my SLK serviced, and every time I've been totally distracted by you. (SMILE) Would you consider making it up to me by joining me for a coffee?"

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
..... problem I have with the dealership is that the receptionist is extremely attractive and every time I've gone in there I've had a list of things to tell them but I take one look at her and become completely stupid and forget some of it. I hate myself sometimes.:biglaugh:
Got any photos? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so after my trip, here is my report.

After roughly 450 miles over the weekend all that I had to do was add a quart of oil on the way home. Pretty sure I don't have a leak as I've never noticed a spot in my driveway. I'm changing the oil out this weekend so ill get a better idea of that then. (Kinda excited about the Mityvac I ordered)

The car ran smooth. But the brakes are still a problem. It shakes pretty bad when at high speeds 60-90. Also as it gets slower the car starts to jerk. I figure this probably means I have warped front disks.(ideas?) The rear disks and pads were replaced at the dealership and they never said anything about the front ones.(That bothers me a little as I wasn't specific when I asked them to check the brakes.)

Another thing I discovered is that the reason my top doesn't work is there is no hydraulic fluid in the main pump (I never check it as I was told it wasn't working when I got the car). My brother looked it over as he has a 2001 SLK 320 and knew what is was looking for. (I'm trying to get him to join the site but he is being lazy, as most old guys are. :D) So I guess I should get some fluid and see where my leak is at as that is the only reason I can figure it doesn't have any in there to begin with.

But after those 2 things are fixed all I'll be worried about are cosmetic issues. (For the most part.) Still need a new driver side mirror.

Slowly but surely I'll bring her back to glory.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
158 Posts
You will like your mityvac. Oil change in literally 15 minutes with virtually no tools and no mess. Change it after driving for a bit as hot oil flows much faster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.