Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Members
Got these pics today of the work in progress on my interior. Going with the pioneer single din car stereo. The dash is going to look amazing when all the leather is put on . I will keep updating ..
Cheers Kevvy

Attachments

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
Looks amazing! I've always liked the lightest interior you can have! Just let the light in, I say! On my other car, I changed the complete dash and interior just to get a lighter colour! I have one suggestion to (respectfully) put to you. That's regarding your fittment of the pioneer single din car stereo .... Personally I think that this is going to look dreadful and will spoil all your good work! There is a very recent thread regarding modification to fit double-DIN units. I.M.H.O., that's the way to go! It gives a modern and integrated effect.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow! That's a R170? really nice job!! I have placed a Double Din radio on my R170 and i think you should also do it. Really nice work! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas ...
I had a double din alpine dvd, GPS car stereo in my car before this upgrade .The double din would not fit because of the new console. The pics are what we want to do with the single din .We want to put in the same vents as the console on the left and right. Plus try to put in the black piano trim.. Th door skins will be curved into to front dash as well. I wanted the amg 2018 hell green colour , but my wife wants the Ferrari red , or the 55 red colour.The engine and all parts have been taken off for the new colour Should look interesting. will be getting a new modern grille as well , and smoked lights front and rear

Cheers

kevvy.

Attachments

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
I have placed a Double Din radio on my R170 and i think you should also do it.
O.K. How did YOU do this, please? I'm asking you this because I'm about to modify the vertical section to fit a Double-DIN unit and I'm interested in how others have achieved this task. It might be better than my own ideas!

David

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. How did YOU do this, please? I'm asking you this because I'm about to modify the vertical section to fit a Double-DIN unit and I'm interested in how others have achieved this task. It might be better than my own ideas!

David
Dave , the double din fitted in before as I had customize my console before. I wanted to do something different , as the interior was old looking .They took off the vinyl on the dash and it just crumbled away .They then made the new dash from fiberglass spray materials The made an insert above the air vents to fit in the flip out .Pictures of when I had the double din alpine . Now just collecting dust.The centre console in pic was from a 2000 Honda sport . I married the old console to the Honda one . It look good in my eyes as I like to customize . Getting my seats done in connerly leather .

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts

David
There are many R170 with double din on the forum/google the process is fun if you like the handy work! Just careful with the trim below the buttons! I will add some photos in a moment

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
Dave , the double din fitted in before as I had customize my console before. I wanted to do something different , as the interior was old looking .They took off the vinyl on the dash and it just crumbled away .They then made the new dash from fiberglass spray materials The made an insert above the air vents to fit in the flip out .Pictures of when I had the double din alpine . Now just collecting dust.The centre console in pic was from a 2000 Honda sport . I married the old console to the Honda one . It look good in my eyes as I like to customize . Getting my seats done in connerly leather .
hen I was a boy (in the 1960's LOL!), there was a magazine called "Custom Car". I used to buy it from issue 1! In it, people would do almost anything to cars ..... fitting larger engines, LOWERING THE ROOF, fitting very wide wheels, flaring wings ... BOY, I'm sure that YOU'D have been a major contributor! Now there are another group of people who I'd call "purists". They keep their car exactly as standard ..... even a screw would have to be the very one fitted in the Factory! Well, that's not you and it certainly isn't me! Please keep providing me with ideas! GREAT!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts