Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm referring to my setup in this thread:
http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/73042-lowered-w-245-front-275-rear-they-fit-no-rub.html

I've run 4 autocross events through the new set of tires so far. The front 245/35/18s on 18x8 +35 wheels are perfect. No rub, no issues. The rear 275/35/18s on 18x9 +35 wheels are mostly perfect, but I have noticed slight rubbing on the inner wheel well liner. Nothing major, but you can tell the edge of the tire has rubbed on it slightly, likely at the absolute maximum amount of compression.

For normal driving, I'd say you would be unaffected. Only when the car rolls hard under aggressive driving would it rub, and ever so slightly that you won't notice it while driving... and it probably won't rub anymore as the tire wears down a bit and the fender liner is rubbed smooth. Also, my car is lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

Besides, that fat rear tire looks great in action!

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Are you sure on the size on the front? 245/35/18? Not 245/40/18?

I'm getting 265/35/18 (on 9.5" +35) and 235/40/18 (on 8.0" +35) this friday, so I'm right behind you!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes 245/35. The width adds to the diameter as well. 245/40 is much taller than the stock 225/40. 225/40 and 245/35 have almost the same diameter. (Which is why those two sizes are matched OEM.)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
How well does the SLK do at autocross ? I was last year driving a JCW Mini and did fairly well. Does the SLK handle the turns well? I do have the AMG handling package on my 350.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very well. I placed 6th overall out of 88 this past Sunday. Ahead of a couple Elises and an instructor in a Nissan GTR.

See for yourself in the video of this Sunday's run:

The car is very well balanced. No understeer, no snap oversteer. Mid corner throttle lift or trail braking rotates the car nicely to enter corners (There's an example of this halfway through the run at 1:00 in a decreasing radius corner. A lot of other cars were understeer plowing through.) Throttle out of corners allows the car to rotate with power also. It's very stable through slaloms with little drama. Very predictable, balanced, and fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I'm running 235's on 8.5" and 265 on 9.5" with no rubbing at all....even during hard cornering.

The Pilot Super Sports are even better than the Pilot PS2's I had if that's even possible!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found you got better weight balance ( weight moved to the back) with the top down. Don't go fast enough to worry much about drag in autocross.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly right. Max speed on our courses is about 65mph. The car is better balanced with the weight of the heavy steel roof low and to the rear. Center of gravity is improved and weight distribution (against the v8 engine) is better too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are the specifics.....

Front: 18x8.5 32 offset; Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40ZR18XL 95Y
Rear: 18x9.5 53 offset; Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/35ZR18XL 97Y

No spacers.....

:)

I just noticed on my 2012 SLK350 I have the 265's on the back like yours.
I am thinking about doing the fronts as you have.

Do you know if these different tire sizes change the speedometer read-out?
Which wheels have the speed sensor on them?

Thanks for any help guys!

Ryan.

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
I just noticed on my 2012 SLK350 I have the 265's on the back like yours.
I am thinking about doing the fronts as you have.

Do you know if these different tire sizes change the speedometer read-out?
Which wheels have the speed sensor on them?

Thanks for any help guys!

Ryan.
Ryan, this website is ace for comparing different wheel and tyre combinations, give it a go! Will give you an approximate speedometer error as percentage!

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts