Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

After 10,000 miles (20k total miles) in my second hand slk amg 200 i have been told the front tyres need replacing - they are worn out but also have some strange uneven wear ....

So i am looking at new tyres but what is on the front does not agree with the web sites using car registration....so digging the book out i find the front are over sized ...!

The book is pretty clear and says that on 18`s they should be
front 225/40/r18
rear 245/35/r18

when i look at the car the rear are fine - but the front has 245/40/r18 which might explain the ride and slightly vague steering, which is worse than i expected and the strange wear.

Anyway the good news is that the correct tyres are about £30 each cheaper ...but it almost looks like someone has not realised they are different and rotated the tyres - is this a common mistake or has someone just put the maximum size that`s possible ?

Time for 2 * new tyres....of the correct manufacturers sizes

Rob

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
704 Posts
what size are the rear tires?

someone could of gotten a deal on the tires and just put the same size on all 4.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear tyres are the correct size which is odd ... Anyway it has two new Dunlops on the front of the correct size from the book for an amg spec on 18's

Should steer a bit better and not skip when on full lock when reverse turning....

Rob

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
When it's time to change rear tyres, the max you can go on the OEM rims are: 255/35R18.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts