Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having sloughed off a brand new set of Conti Sport 5's on the rear of my 350 in six months and 7,000 miles my dealership has suggested trying Uniroyals.
They're much cheaper, tho based on and made by Michelin I believe, I think they're Rainsport 3's assymetric.

Any thoughts from those that have tried them?

BTW please don't say they're totally crap :surprise:by the time I read your reply they'll be on the car! Tho if you must say that I can feel a track day coming on........:grin:

TonyS

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,295 Posts
Tony, I haven't tried Uniroyals so I can't say they're crap ;) ... and I've just put new Pirelli P-Zero's on the rear of mine.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys

Cost wasn't really a major issue, I've run Contis for years, but at this rate it's two sets of rears a year.
I thought the Uniroyals may be a harder compound, maybe?
Time will tell.

TonyS

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
Agree on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +. Have them on my rears and still have threads on em after almost 2 years!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,316 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
I should have been more precise.

Michelin makes two top rated tires for high performance vehicles:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - all season

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - summer

I have the A/S 3s on both my SLK and BMW. They are absolutely the best rubber I have ever had on my cars. But you don't have to trust me - check out Consumer Reports November 2013 page 50.

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,561 Posts
I would recommend Hankook Ventus v12s. They are much cheaper than Contis and pirellis and provide excellent performance in wet and dry.. I have them for the last 3 years and have been brilliant. It is more difficult to light up the rears with hankooks than the pirellis or the contisport2s IIRC.

Uniroyals have a good rep in pistonheads. I think you will be fine with them.

·
Banned
801 Posts
While Michelin Pilot Super Sport came in number two, Pirelli P Zero were number one, the Hankook Ventus V12 came in number 12 in Consumer Reports test of tires. It is true they are about a third cheaper than the Michelins which seems to be their main virtue.

The Hankook Ventus S1 came in number four in the all season category with poor tread life. They were nearly identical in price to the Michelins.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,316 Posts
While Michelin Pilot Super Sport came in number two, Pirelli P Zero were number one, the Hankook Ventus V12 came in number 12 in Consumer Reports test of tires. It is true they are about a third cheaper than the Michelins which seems to be their main virtue.

The Hankook Ventus S1 came in number four in the all season category with poor tread life. They were nearly identical in price to the Michelins.
I have 4 of hankook ventus v12 on my vw passat and yes they wear quickly.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Challenge is shod with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + and no real signs of wear after about 5K. My old Conti CS3s were 3/4 done at 5K. The Mich is a little more expensive, but the improved ride and handling more than cover the small extra cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uniroyals are not too bad. I had them on my wife's A class a few years ago and they were even quite good in the snow.
I'm not sure if they'll last any longer than continentals though.
The biggest thing I see with continentals is the treads cracking. It's usually tyres that are 3 to 4 years old on low mileage cars.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I originally put in a order for Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's as they have great reviews with M3/C63 owners. But the store had sold out and gave me the option of the Ultrac Vorti's. Cost delivered for all 4 tyres was under £410.

They have performed impeccably so far during the wet windy slimy conditions. Very confidence inspiring.

I definitely recommend these tyres.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts