Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today after logging in I wanted to see what the outcome was to the following discussion:

Knowledge Portal, All members your opinion is important

Shockingly, the entire thread has been deleted. While I understand that this was a contentious topic, the purpose of this board is to promote discussion and the passing of ideas which may mean disagreements.

Locking a thread after a discussion has run its course is one thing. However, completely deleting a thread without explanation and therefore erasing all the hard work and time people put in crafting their response shows a lack empathy for one’s time.

That thread was one of the livelier discussions we have had on this board. Whoever deleted it should give an explanation on why it was done.

I also think that those against the original user’s reasoning for creating a separate wiki have actually proven his argument thoroughly by deleting the discussion. His biggest concern was to have all his time and effort be placed in the hands of another entity and, should he displease the wrong person, have it all erased at the click of a button.

I say that fear has now been validated.

Poor show.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Site Owners Response:

Hey Everyone,

I am here to clarify some things.

1. This person has come on some of my other sites and asked the same questions and done the same dog and pony show. Yes this is your content but the site is still owned by us, and it seems a tad rude that this person would not think to ask the site owner but poses this question to the forum. He does this to get a rise out of people and start drama on the site.

2. What he is trying to do will not benefit members, he is building a site with content not taken legally and using it for solely for profit. Yes we do make money off of the sites we own, but weather you notice it or not we invest that money back into the site. We have techs on call 24/7; I am here every day making sure the site is running well. The server the site runs on alone costs a pretty penny to maintain. We pay for software and upgrades, and when sites have meets we like to help out. This man is taking content (usually not with permission) and putting it on a site that will be covered in ads, and he will charge members to have access to.

If we would like a wiki app on the site that we can maintain and fix and add to I have no problem doing this. But this person is sneaky and just trying to play the field.

He also posted a PM (private message) that I had sent, in a post on this thread. He has no respect for rules. If he did he would be contacting me firstly for permission to peddle his wears on the site. If a non-vendor came on the site and started advertising, it would be frowned upon.

Thanks for your time, hope this helps.

Helena

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
To clarify the above post, admin is our former owner and he is just posting Helena's (administrator - new site owners) post.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Site Owners Response:

Hey Everyone,

I am here to clarify some things.

1. This person has come on some of my other sites and asked the same questions and done the same dog and pony show. Yes this is your content but the site is still owned by us, and it seems a tad rude that this person would not think to ask the site owner but poses this question to the forum. He does this to get a rise out of people and start drama on the site.

2. .....I am here every day making sure the site is running well.

He also posted a PM (private message) that I had sent, in a post on this thread.

Thanks for your time, hope this helps.

Helena
:confused:If this has been going on with other sites , by the same original poster, owned by the SLKWorld owners, why wasn't it squashed the first day it was posted, instead of letting it run for almost a week?

·
97,361 Posts
Perhaps because the administrator does not live here 24/7 as I do, but I cannot answer for them.

·
97,361 Posts
Again, not defending the admins but they could just pop in for maintenance admin and not read threads unless alerted.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thread goes away...

The "Sky is not falling". I think decisions made are proper.

Switching gears, what I personally find egregious and offensive is using the name of G-d loosely. I weary of it. It has no place here and adds NOTHING at all to the post. If one desires to be profane and offensive, keep out of here - park it in your own mind if you must.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Switching gears, what I personally find egregious and offensive is using the name of G-d loosely. I weary of it. It has no place here and adds NOTHING at all to the post.
What are you referring to?

Also it appears that all of Ruben's postings to the forum have been deleted? Yikes... Harsh punishment indeed.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
The "Sky is not falling". I think decisions made are proper.

Switching gears, what I personally find egregious and offensive is using the name of G-d loosely. I weary of it. It has no place here and adds NOTHING at all to the post. If one desires to be profane and offensive, keep out of here - park it in your own mind if you must.
:confused:New subject. Who is your response directed to?

·
97,361 Posts
there was a post in another thread that mentioned G-d in it and it was inappropriate to Johnr43.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
there was a post in another thread that mentioned G-d in it and it was inappropriate to Johnr43.
There are also people that find spelling the name of God as "G-d" offensive. This site already has the absolute lowest tolerance for "offensive" speech of any site I've ever been a part of. Just sayin'...

·
97,361 Posts
I spelled it that way as not to offend John further. Forgive me for offending anyone else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the response from the Administrator. While I am not privy to the entire picture of what all took place behind the scenes (including the multiple accusations heaved at both parties), I will believe under good faith that the actions taken were ultimately for the betterment of the community and leave it at that.

I hope that in the future, deleting ones work would be seen as the “nuclear option” and only be reserved for the most blatant violations of our site’s TOS.

·
Administrator
1,016 Posts
Firstly I did not realize that I deleted the thread, I had put the poster in a user setting basically equivalent to a time out, and I did not realize when doing so it hide all his posts. I can go in and UN-do what I did, if I can. So sorry for that, I made a post and was hoping to have a community response.

The basic point is that the content on the forum is owned by the forum on the forum, and is owned by an individual off the forum. This Wiki idea is basically going again the T&C that the site is held to and taking members posts off the forum to create profit for this person. When we acquired the site, members were concerned about us taking their content and making money from it off the site. If we allow this to happen it looks bad on us, our intent with our community of sites is to keep forums functioning and healthy. NOT to take members content and essentially sell it or allow someone to take it for financial gain. Even if this member had come to us and offered us a share in his venture we would have said no, we are not in it for “the money" as everyone thinks. We do care about the community and the functionality of the site.

No I am on the site everyday but I am usually making sure that issues such as speed or members functionality or the tickets members/guests send in through the contact us link are answered and taken care of. I search the site quickly and look at a few things, check if my moderating team needs anything and then move to my next site. If I am needed I come running to help.

The members posts are not deleted I just thought he needed a time out, since A. he basically was endorsing/advertising on the site without a vendor status (if a member started a gauge interest thread, they would be warned) I asked him to stop and talk to the owner of the site, he did not and then proceeded to post a PM (private message) from me to him in that thread. I thought this was in bad taste and decided to give him a time out.

I am sorry this has offended some, I do apologize. I have no problem with getting a wiki plug in for the site, and getting some members to help look after it, and build a wiki page on the site so members can benefit, but loosing the distrust of other forums and this one by letting someone take their content and profit off of it is not in the cards.

I hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for shedding some more light on this issue. It's good to hear that the deletion was done by accident so I think we can all move on from here.

I would suggest restoring the original thread in question, adding the above response to it, and locking it since it appears that no further discussion is needed on the matter. I think its a good idea to have it restored just for public record and so that should this matter come up again, we can simply link to that thread without having to reinvent the wheel each time.

Thanks again for taking the time to address my concerns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.