Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
* Registered
Mercedes SLK230 1997 Auto, AMG body kit
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I tackled the issue of water collecting in the engine undertray! Mercedes in their wisdom left a small 10mm drainage hole at the back of the tray which is badly positioned! I could have drilled several holes where the water collects but prefered a neater solution. I picked up a louvered vent from the local hardware store for £4 and set about letting it in where most of the water collected. Took about 20 minutes to complete. Happy days!

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,053 Posts
Never been in there BUT from your top pic, looks like the "inside" ie towards the engine? Still going to need about 1/4" accumulation of water before it gets high enough to drain. Or is that the bottom ie facing the ground and the inside of your "addition" is basically flush with the cover?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,372 Posts
they are called covers or paneling or trim depending on generation and not trays or pans :D

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,372 Posts
i am quoting MB epc/isppi and what it is called :D

·
* Registered
Mercedes SLK230 1997 Auto, AMG body kit
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 592173 View attachment 592174 View attachment 592175 Today I tackled the issue of water collecting in the engine undertray! Mercedes in their wisdom left a small 10mm drainage hole at the back of the tray which is badly positioned! I could have drilled several holes where the water collects but prefered a neater solution. I picked up a louvered vent from the local hardware store for £4 and set about letting it in where most of the water collected. Took about 20 minutes to complete. Happy days!
Never been in there BUT from your top pic, looks like the "inside" ie towards the engine? Still going to need about 1/4" accumulation of water before it gets high enough to drain. Or is that the bottom ie facing the ground and the inside of your "addition" is basically flush with the cover?
The louvered panel sits on the underside so is slightly lower than the cover allowing water to drain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts