Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
Decide what you want and then........be patient!
I agree, something you can change, some you can live without, but figure out what you must have and stick to it.
Wheels/tires can and will be changed eventually so don't decide on that. I personally decided I wanted nav and the HK audio, but if I didn't I would have been better off in some ways upgrading the base system. I knew what colors I didn't want (red/silver), and I wanted all convenience options and went from there. I ended up spending an entire day driving 2 different directions and got min about 200 miles away.
If you know you want the power wait for the perfect 55 for you. If you aren't sure, drive some. The 2009 and newer 350s are 300+hp plus Bluetooth audio..., I would start there if I could.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
mind you I guess you could also buy cheap and spend the £4k difference on prepping the car properly.... but really would be a gamble

·
Registered
27 Posts
The SLK 55 AMG is a beast. It can handle with a lot of newer cars sports, specially in the urban drag races... I'm talking about that ones at the traffic lights...you all know what I'm talking about, lol. But if I were you I'll go with the R172. It's a newer car, less fuel consumption...less taxes...more cheap maintenance...and you save a lot of money in speed tickets, lol. Our friends in the US, would say, go for the V8, but in Europe, just if you are living in Germany near to the Autobans or some circuit, you can truly enjoy the wonders of that V8.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,495 Posts
Here's a curve ball for you! When I bought my first 55 it wasn't what I was looking for, I was actively looking for an SL55, principally for the V8 and hard top convertible.

Disappointed with the examples I could afford at the time and having driven an SL500 which I didn't like I was getting impatient.

Then my obsidian black 55 came up on Auto trader whilst I was searching for SLs! Was about 10 miles away, so I thought what the heck, let's go and see it! Needless to say "the rest is history". Bought the car there and then and had a great couple of years motoring from her before I started getting an itch for R172.

I'm generally a very patient person in most respects but when it comes to car buying I can be very compulsive!

It is definitely an emotional experience for me although over the years I have got better at being more rational and waiting until "the right one comes along!"

When I bought my R171 I got really lucky to unknowingly buy a really high spec example at a great price. I hadn't done any research on SLKs at that point but the one I bought had all the important options although it was in one of the most common colour combos. Buying it led me to this fantastic forum and now my knowledge is somewhat better!

Buying the R172 I found that at the time I was initially looking typically there were not many about that were special enough for me. This time I knew what options I really wanted and the ones I could do without but I knew I wanted a rarer colour combination this time around too!

Overall I'm very happy with my choice and have not looked back!
Even if it's not what I initially wanted! :smile:

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm generally a very patient person in most respects but when it comes to car buying I can be very compulsive!
Or should that be impulsive? This is how I bought my current 55 AMG! I was looking for the 350 with as many options as possible - I didn't even drive one when I drove the 55 and knew it had to be the V8. Total heart over head purchase and never regretted is for one minute >:D>:D>:D

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,495 Posts
Or should that be impulsive? This is how I bought my current 55 AMG! I was looking for the 350 with as many options as possible - I didn't even drive one when I drove the 55 and knew it had to be the V8. Total heart over head purchase and never regretted is for one minute >:D>:D>:D
Yeah you got me! Must have been a Freudian slip seeing as I'm borderline OCD too! :wink:

Not many high spec 350s about and agree you can't beat 8 cylinders! :smile:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts

·
96,316 Posts

·
96,316 Posts
I really think Sweet has left the building :D Last Activity: 06-21-2016

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
When I decided to look for a R171 when I had my Crossfire, I wanted more of everything, more power, more options, the roof to open...
So I decided I wanted a 2009 + 350 with the 300+hp, but missed driving the only local one for sale at the time, the only other one local was a SLK280. That was the first one I drove and I was thoroughly please with it, and decided any 350 would be good. I love my 2005 SLK350, but would always take more power/torque.
Drive several, compare the feeling. Ideally I wanted a 6sp 350, but the 7sp auto is very nice, and has a higher W.A.F.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.