Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen an advert for a 170 - 230K - that is described as in excellent bodily condition but with 'some problems' with mechanics. No further details apart from the fact that the roof works 'perfectly'.

I was wondering if there were any unobtainable or difficult to get parts. I'm not proud when it comes to cars so am happy to use second had parts, but would prefer new.

A bit vague I'm afraid with regards to what might have to be replaced but I want to appear 'casual' when I see it.

I'm looking for a bit of a hobby - I already have a 350 - but money could be a problem.

Thanks,

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Everything for a car that new should still be available from Mercedes. Might cost a bit, but at least you can still get it.

Reactions: Harvey Yates

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've already had the joy of the MB spares counter.

I'll only go for new for the important stuff, like brakes and steering.

A friend went to see the car - I don't want to go until I've worked out what the likely costs - and reckons that the turbocharger has had it, there are 'one or two' little electrical problems and the radiator has a lead. Te last concerns me a bit as one might think that the owner would have continued to drive it by filling up with tap water and corrosion might be a problem.

The tyres are dreadful and all four wheels need replacing. My friend says that in her opinion the chap has sold his and got the poor ones in return.

The paintwork is good and the bodywork is without rust.

I've already sourced a second hand, guaranteed turbo so I'm off to view it on Sunday.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All was not as advertised. My friend only gave it a perfunctory examination, mainly bodywork.

Once underneath there were problem areas.

Further, the door shuts were hardly even. There was a replacement bumper on the front. There was no apparent twists to the front of the car by front tyre wear was uneven.

The engine ran, after a fashion, but the whine from the turbo showed that there was a bearing problem. OK, so not a major problem, but the oil was sludgy, the radiator damage was not recent and there were hardy any coloured stains, suggesting that it had been present for some time.

The passenger seat mechanism was faulty and the leather poor. The roof was a little slow, around 40 seconds to lower, and there were some unusual noises from the back over bumps in the road. 'That's a loose exhaust' was the suggestion, but one I didn't quite agree with.

A money pit was my feeling.

And a hint to anyone selling a car. If the brakes don't work all that well, it is best to tell the prospective purchaser before he drives the car. Just before braking for a junction is a little late.

Shame really. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.