Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Those of you in the UK that have recently bought Smartops, where did you get them from? I've found a few places to get them from, just wondered where everyone had gotten theirs?

Is it worth ordering direct from Mods4cars in the US?

Thanks,

Derek

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,464 Posts

·
93,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Hi all,
Those of you in the UK that have recently bought Smartops, where did you get them from? I've found a few places to get them from, just wondered where everyone had gotten theirs?

Thanks,

Derek
Derek. I purchased mine from PPCGB and their web address is www.ppcgb.com. I looked at the price for your car and it is £240.54 inc.VAT with free delivery. Please check this yourself but I believe the SMARTTOP model for your car is the STLFMZ1. On the point regarding the US, I have ordered an unrelated item for my car from the US and at the moment I believe it is being held up in Customs to apply VAT charges of 20% on top of what I have already paid plus an admin charge of £8. I knew this would probably happen but I can only get the item from the States. You can purchase the item you want from the UK and there is also the poor exchange rate that we are getting which makes a US purchase more expensive. Hope this helps regards Martin

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks,

Derek
check Dave's dbgrn's signature block for address

http://www.slkworld.com/1619522-post39.html
PPCGB is usually the best place to get them in the UK (unless you're lucky and can find a used one on eBay - but I don't see one there at the moment). As Jeff says, check out the link in my signature for info, including a way you might be able to get 5% discount from PPCGB. Obviously, the 'tips' I include in that post relate to the R171, not the R170... another R170 owner tells me that installing this on the R170 is very easy, as it's all done (apparently) under the bonnet!

Martin (mersea111) is right with the product code you're looking for (assuming it's the R170 in your profile that you're buying it for): STLFMZ1

+1 for buying this in the UK and not from the USA, for all the reasons that Martin's mentioned too. :tu:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I went to mods4cars and that pointed me to ppcgb.com.
I selected the nearest dealer to me which was

Prestige Performance Centre
Unit 6 Canons Road
Old Wolverton Village
Milton Keynes MK12 5TL
0845-2876678

I dropped the car off, walked about for an hour and it was all done. Fitting was £70 but I can't remember the cost of the unit itself.

·
Super Moderator
24,763 Posts
I used the mods4cars UK link, which goes to ppcgb.

Then I found that Deutch Tech in Milton Keynes fitted (recommended by ppcgb)
and did it all through them.

The ppcgb lists uk stores and fitting centres.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Derek. I purchased mine from PPCGB and their web address is www.ppcgb.com. I looked at the price for your car and it is £240.54 inc.VAT with free delivery. Please check this yourself but I believe the SMARTTOP model for your car is the STLFMZ1. On the point regarding the US, I have ordered an unrelated item for my car from the US and at the moment I believe it is being held up in Customs to apply VAT charges of 20% on top of what I have already paid plus an admin charge of £8. I knew this would probably happen but I can only get the item from the States. You can purchase the item you want from the UK and there is also the poor exchange rate that we are getting which makes a US purchase more expensive. Hope this helps regards Martin
Hi Martin, you can't do that, tell us you have bought an item for your car from the States and then not tell us what it is! I won't be able to sleep at night now for wondering. >:D:tu:

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
Hi Martin, you can't do that, tell us you have bought an item for your car from the States and then not tell us what it is! I won't be able to sleep at night now for wondering. >:D:tu:
Hello Jules. It is the Reverse Logic aluminium Jack Pads which when placed in the jacking points are held in position allowing you to place your jack or jack stands in the correct place. They were despatched on the 27th Sept USPS through to Philadelphia, Bellmawr New Jersey on 28th, and left New York on 28th. The last tracking is passed through Facility in France on 30th. My understanding is that my items will not be tracked in the UK ( First Class Package International Service Small Package). I am hoping that the delay is at Customs rather than them being lost. They cost $82 dollars for the pair with $15 shipping. I reckon that I will have to pay a further £14 VAT plus £8 admin fee on delivery whenever that is. Import Duty/VAT is payable for goods received from outside the EU where the value exceeds I believe £15.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, have ordered direct from PPCGB.

I was going to wait a month or two before starting to spend money on it, but having to stop to put the roof up/down is a little annoying :D

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Thanks all, have ordered direct from PPCGB.

I was going to wait a month or two before starting to spend money on it, but having to stop to put the roof up/down is a little annoying :D
Give me a shout if you want moral support when you install it... I've never installed one on an R170, but I'm intrigued to know how it's done (and I've been told it's easier than on the R171). :)

·
93,464 Posts
watch the video?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts