Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a white slk 55 AMG 2010 model for sale east of Liverpool, UK. I went to look at it as I'm considering getting a low mileage, end of series, 171 to keep long term as I now have storage and don't need a daily driver.

Alloys had what looked like hammer marks around the lug nuts.
boot full of condensation.
Drains blocked.
Heater motor bearings sound as if the battery box has flooded and got into the blower.
Leaves in all recesses
Drivers door card scuffed and scratched ( a ring or heavy watch??? )
Inside door handle anodising scratched
All external rubbers looked very tired
Very small spot/evidence of corrosion around seam in boot rim.
No wind deflector ( or smart-top )

Less than 20k on the odo but it presented a lot worse than my 87000 car! I reckon 2 or 3000 to rectify. Buyer beware as the asking price is top of the box! I'd pay for a full history search before risking money on it, I very much suspect this car has been clocked or has been put through the wringer by someone! Not sure but there is a description on the sellers ( dealer ) website that is advertising the car as a 30000 mile car but now appears to be a 19000 miler.

Sorry I didn't bother getting the VIN or reggo. I'd seen enough, the sun was shining and after a recent full service Angelina wanted to be back on the open road! Cracking Friday mid afternoon drive!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it worth starting a 'pre-buy inspection' thread and making it sticky? Would have to be by country/state/model

Nice to know if it's even worth making a trip to view a certain car.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite what I was thinking JB.

More like pre inspections already carried out on cars out there.

I'd like to know about the red/tan one that's currently for sale but don't want to drive 200 miles to see it and be disappointed!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,611 Posts
Oh I understand now.
The trick is getting the seller to even post pics, contact info, etc :D

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what i meant. If someone goes and looks at a car and they are not buying then they could post the details / snags here. They can't stop you taking a snap of the VIN and reggo while you are 'on-site'.

Might help out someone with a different budget or set of decision criteria.

·
Super Moderator
24,899 Posts
I can see what you're thinking.

In principal, it's a great idea.

Reality is somewhat different.

If you don't know the 'inspector' how could you put faith in their judgement?
I've known many online and a good number in person.
The list of those whose judgement I'd have confidence in to do a pre trip inspection is finite.

Them being available in the timespan is unlikely.

A good condition, popular model can go the same day it goes on sale.
(I missed a lot of 55s simply because I do 2 day shifts, Even unpopular colours were gone in 3 days).

How would the pre Inspector feel if the buyer found something that they missed?
Worse still, if it wasn't noticed until a meet?
(If you ask questions at a meet you will get 'of course the wheels are recon' etc).

How will the forum manage disputes?
Who will manage disputes?

I'll stop at that point, because it is mostly negative for the idea.
Certainly from my viewpoint.

I found that the thirst for the right car widened my search radius.
For the 170, we went to Hull. A 2.5 hour drive on a clear day.
For the 55, I was ready to go to London, perhaps further, to get the colour/spec I wanted.

I think it's a non starter as a routine thing.

Why not post the cars location and see if anyone volunteers?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not quite what I was thinking JB.

More like pre inspections already carried out on cars out there.

I'd like to know about the red/tan one that's currently for sale but don't want to drive 200 miles to see it and be disappointed!

if you want a rare car you're going to have to travel. I live in Essex and the furthest I have been to buy has been Stranrar (and I've been as far as Bristol to be bitterly disappointed!).

You could always pay to have an inspection done....

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my first SLK in Glasgow .......... I lived in Sussex at the time. :) The second one was a bit closer, just 120 miles from home. The third just over 200 miles.

I don't mind travelling. My point is I also don't mind sharing what I discover when I look at a car

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as a matter of interest I do inspections on cars in the UK for a fine car dealer based in Zurich. Jaguar E-type, 60's and 70's exotica and late model Ferraris, Lamborghinis and others. Usually involving several hundred photos and a 4 or 5 page write up, so I'm no stranger to inspecting a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.