Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are going to change gearbox or engine oil a suction type pump is a godsend.

Pela is the best available in my book. I've had one for about 10 years and it still works great. ( it's a little dirtier than it used to be though )

i see they are on sale in the UK for about £35. a good price.

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/oil-extractor-pump-37774.html

No connection just in case people are interested.

( I've seen these advertised on eBay for £111! LOL )

·
Long Time Member
3,672 Posts
If you are going to change gearbox or engine oil a suction type pump is a godsend.

Pela is the best available in my book. I've had one for about 10 years and it still works great. ( it's a little dirtier than it used to be though )

same one I use , great bit of kit

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts

For us on amaz . ca . Not really a fair currency conversion though:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used this one for various purposes to extract oil from gear boxes and have used this as well on my previous 2000 SLK 230 extracting the oil thru the dipstick tube.
It works great and is available at a reasonable low price on Amazon. :tu:

Air Power America 2000 LiquiVac Oil Changing System for Large 8 quart capacity Engine $51.75 they also have them for smaller 3.5 quarts capacity which runs at $38.88

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you use the pump to say extract oil from auto transmission, can it be refilled via the dip stick tube ?
You need to take the pan off to change filter anyway.

I imagine without removing the filter that a lot of fluid would remain within the box, would be interesting to see how much came out with it still sealed - might be completely wrong.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If you are 7gtronic

no transmission dipstick tube. Level measurement by the overflow method after undoing the drain plug. Filling is by pumping fluid up into the drain plug orifice. I only know 'cos I've just done it to my S211. You can get most of the fluid out of the pan if you dislodge the overflow pipe, but you will have to dismount the pan to remount the tube. Not a problem if you are doing the filter. You will need a new gasket, and most importantly, the new pan mounting bolts.

I'll stop now. No, i won't. I used a 12v extraction pump ( Lidl, £13.99) to pump the new fluid up into the transmission. A bit fiddly, but not exactly hard work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
no transmission dipstick tube. Level measurement by the overflow method after undoing the drain plug. Filling is by pumping fluid up into the drain plug orifice. I only know 'cos I've just done it to my S211. You can get most of the fluid out of the pan if you dislodge the overflow pipe, but you will have to dismount the pan to remount the tube. Not a problem if you are doing the filter. You will need a new gasket, and most importantly, the new pan mounting bolts.

I'll stop now. No, i won't. I used a 12v extraction pump ( Lidl, £13.99) to pump the new fluid up into the transmission. A bit fiddly, but not exactly hard work.
You're spot on. I've been out the game to long!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
if you do the full monty

including torque converter drain, and flush the cooler, you will need about 14 litres of fluid ( remember, you have to overfill it to get it to drain to the correct level) I bought 20 litres of Fuchs 4134 Transmission fluid from Clarke Oil on their ebay site. £92 . and it suits all my other Mb transmissions as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts