Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered did not proceed with SLK purchase
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Myself & my wife test drove a 2016 sub 20,000 miles SLK250d AMG Sport last Sunday. Fitted with the 9G-Tronic gearbox & flappy paddle override.
Talk about an impressive bit of kit! :)
The last auto I owned was a 1996 Honda Civic. Good car but a terrible gearbox! By comparison the 9G was truly astonishing. I didn't feel a single gear change. The car felt like it was powered by a huge electric motor. Even the diesel clatter I was expecting was conspicuous by its absence. All in all a very impressive package!

If we purchase it, it'll be a sunny day toy with occasional use on dry winter days.
For many years we've owned vehicles with far more of a "Seat of your pants" feel to them.
TBH, the only thing I found slightly disappointing about the SLK. Was its total composure & lack of an edge. I don't mean that to sound disrespectful in any way shape or form. It was obviously a quick car with good handling.
I guess that it was just a bit too good & not at all raw. Once I get my head around the idea of acting my age, not my shoe size, I'm sure all that quality will make much more sense :unsure:

The last Mercedes I owned was a 1989 190E. Mercedes have certainly moved on a lot since then! :)

All the gadgets scare me a bit. I'd imagine they are great whilst they are working. But very expensive to fix if they go wrong? :oops:

Talking of gadgets. Should I be looking for faults in any particular place? I've seen the roof in action & that all seems fine. It was a bit creaky but the car had been stood outside for a while. So I guess that cleaning/lubing the seals will cure that?

Anyway, I look forward to joining in with the forum goings on. I'm bound to be full of questions if/when we get the car. Please bear with me ;)

PS...
One quick question upfront If I may? The car is 4yrs old on the 1st of March. I read somewhere that it will require the gearbox fluids to be changed at 4yrs old. Yet when I called my local Mercedes dealer today. They said at just under 20,000 miles it doesn't require the fluids yet?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Canada 😄

Please complete your profile: click avatar (top right) then Account Settings then in Location--the city you live in and in
About You--the model and year of your SLK or if not purchased yet, LOOKING . Then Save.
Cheers mate :)
I'll do all the profile update stuff if we buy the car?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,469 Posts
Please input your city and "Looking" as shown at this time. It can be updated if/when your purchase is final

Forum Requirement.

Thank you.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
94,993 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

operators-manual

mods you should do:
smarttop

What is this SmartTOP all the members keep talking about?
Lube those seals:
[/URL]

Your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

Free Gift!: Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

FREE!! How to get a free datacard!

Thank you
Jeff
Administrator/Founding Member

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,168 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.
If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum this may help.

Our forum rules:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
The web site of slk-links

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is where to find meets/events.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.
Check out the tsbs. Lot's of fixes for MB recognised issues there.

Your checklist BEFORE buying:

Before driving

TLC once you own:

A heads up.
UK has petrol and diesel 250s.
US and some others only have petrol.
Handy to know when reading threads.

Post 5 operators manual may have gearbox answer.
Not had a smoker myself, so can't say.

@DaveR. had a diesel before his 55. He might know.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Dave54 :)

I shall certainly do my best Sir.
Mrs BR loved everything about the SLK.
It was she who pointed out that I may act 10yrs old when it comes to vehicles. However, maybe it's time to grow up?
The very thought of it! :oops:

I think my slight reservations about the SLK. Are based on having owned & built some crazy (yet totally impractical) vehicles over the years. Last year I sold our kit car. It was a genuine beast of a thing!
It was powered by a tuned 180bhp Yamaha R1 bike engine & it only tipped the scales at 325kg. Consequently, it was rapid! But also the least practical vehicle on the planet.

I'm sure I'll grow to love our SLK. I was very impressed with it during my short test drive. But as I tried to explain in my introduction. It didn't scare me or get my pulse even slightly racing. It did ooze quality though :)

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PS...
In case anyone is wondering why I'd consider a diesel SLK?
I love the effortless way that diesels make their power.
The 500 Nm of torque it produces was fantastic :)

·
Super Moderator 06 SLK 280
10,516 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern

California

List of Useful SLK Links

slk-links.neocities.org

FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

Welcome to the forum

Where search is your friend

And the answers never end

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,487 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,475 Posts
Welcome from North Hampshire (y)

Defiantly worth some cleaning and lubrication of the roof - The "Gummi-Pfledge" is available on Amazon..!!

With reference to the Gearbox oil, it depends how long You are planning to keep the car...
Fleet Managers want the cars to be in the workshop as little as possible, but no concerns about what happens cost wise after the 3 or 4 year lease is up....

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the welcomes & useful links.
Unfortunately, I "think" our SLK deal is off?
I took our old but trusty 2.0 Mazda MX-5 out of the garage this morning to take its advert photos.
Long story short, my heart sank at the idea of selling it :(

I've spent a lot of time/effort on the car & we both love it. It isn't as prestigious or flashy as the SLK. But it's a genuinely fantastic place to be on a sunny day :)

So, for now. I'll bid you farewell & I hope you all have a great summer in your SLK's. If an old bloke with a white beard waves at you from a black MX-5? It might not be Santa on a test drive & looking to PX his reindeer? :cool:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,168 Posts
Not a problem.

If you get a wave back from a white bearded SLK driver, it will likely be one of us.
We use the MX5 folk as a test for topless driving.

If an MX5 has it's roof up, it's not worth us taking the risk either.

The UK SLKers have a good banter with the MXers.
Lot of former MXers on here.

Your intro will still be here, should you ever reconsider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts