Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, okay, its not exactly a mammoth distance however my summer holiday was a choice of fly to UK from Saudi then take my gorgeous new girlfriend on a trip:

1) to france
2) on a med cruise

3) Driving my SLK to Bickington in Devon (18 miles from Croyde bay) via stonehenge, stopping there for a picnic and continuing on along the scenic route into devon. Arrive at a holiday cottage (for honeymooners c/w everything you ever wanted hot tub for 6, internet 3D TV, copper bath for 2, designer cutlery I kid you not!) where we will spend the next week and during which we shall venture to the coast ROOF DOWN. We will spend the week exploring devon via the many country paths and walking routes/pubs.

The cruise was about the same price as devon will cost ""all in including petrol"" however it wouldnt have had the facilities we will have nor the thrill of the open top drive in the most beautiful and scenic part of England.

We cant wait!!!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Stonehenge...impressive...but go north to Avebury (Google Maps) and walk amongst the stones and the hand dug moat that predates Stonehenge. There is also a mysterious man made knoll there. Definite hand holding quality time. Further north on Salisbury Plain is the Chalk Horse (picnic anyone) Westbury White Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Still further north...going in the wrong direction...is Cirencester, roman Villa.. But then you could hit Bath...
No lack of dining in the area.

Question, as noted above.. "new girlfriend" going to honeymoon retreat (truth in advertising?) six person hot tub (on the honeymoon?!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming!!

Well the truth in the advertising is that I get 2 or 3 weeks in my home country every 3 or 4 months and have to make the most of this time and so I decided and bearing this in mind (with costs being no issue), and as I said above, I chose not to go to France or a med cruise but to go to Devon instead.

I then started to give some serious thought to what I wanted in respect of accomodation and facilities but this was difficult especially being close to summer and the dates I wanted (2 months away).

Im renting a cottage that is intended (and priced!!) to be rented by honeymooners for a few days except we will have it for a whole week!!

All I wanted was somewhere near Croyde Bay with WIFI-All the GF wanted was somewhere with a log fire. We couldnt find anywhere with both.

But then I stumbled across a thatched cottage which has everything we wanted but at a premium price. Thats is why it has the 6 person hot tub, 3D TV, BOSE surround system, designer cutlery etc etc

This alternative costs the same as the cruise. It just means living like a king in Devon for a week instead of living in a cabin......

:tu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts