Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the threads on aftermarket replacement headlamp units but they all seem to be related to LHD cars - does anyone have any experience of replacement units for RHD UK R171 ??

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've seen the threads on aftermarket replacement headlamp units but they all seem to be related to LHD cars - does anyone have any experience of replacement units for RHD UK R171 ??
What are your specific concerns in regards to this? As far as I have seen the front end is symmetric regardless of steering wheel location. The main differences that come with changing the location of the steering wheel tend to be within a few feet of the firewall and don't go much further than the front of the engine.

Someone from the UK will check in soon and weigh in... but as far as I am concerned they should be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your specific concerns in regards to this? As far as I have seen the front end is symmetric regardless of steering wheel location. The main differences that come with changing the location of the steering wheel tend to be within a few feet of the firewall and don't go much further than the front of the engine.

Someone from the UK will check in soon and weigh in... but as far as I am concerned they should be fine.
Hi and thanks for the response.
The issue is the light patterns which are different dependent on whether the car is LHD or RHD - a LHD car driven in the UK shines its lights into the oncoming traffic and is illegal. That in a nutshell is the issue.
R

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,624 Posts
There's a shutter mechanism inside each headlight assembly that shapes each beam pattern, and the pattern varies depending on which side of the road you drive on. The idea is to reduce blinding the oncoming traffic.

Take a look at the picture of the beam pattern here. Notice how one side of each beam is higher than the other?

If you turn on your lights when facing directly into a nearby wall, you'll also notice this very distinct pattern.

This pattern seems to be present in both Xenon and Halogen projectors.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,624 Posts
I don't think anybody here has published any detailed photos of the internals of the headlight assembly -- but I'd love to see such. And I wonder if you can reverse the shutter easily once you get past the hurtle of opening up the assembly.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Not sure from your following post what it is you are seeking?

If it is fitment, then they are all the same - a bugga. (be thankful though it is not a Toyota Avensis which needs a wing/fender removal to do this…)

If it is the light pattern on dip, right or left, that you say is the issue in your next post, then what lights are you talking? The halogen has a lever in there somewhere and the xenons are programmable. If you are concerned that you are taking your car to Europe, then your dealer can change the dip pattern quite easily - and thanks for doing this if you are driving in Europe, as the amount of UK cars coming over here without any adjustment is staggering!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.