Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title, I was scrubbing about under the car today looking for the cause of some unhappy noises (found 3 - rotten fuel filter bracket, sticky brake caliper, and this loose u-joint to diff connection).

So I figure I can just torque the bolts back down and that will pretty much cure the problem, but I'm not sure how much grease has been thrown out. I'm assuming that I can remove the bolts, drop the axle, and pack in however many grams of CV grease the WIS specifies for that diameter.

The question is basically has anyone split this joint without dropping the whole hub assy out first. Is there any tension in that joint, do I need to be jacking the hub up before I start spannering away? If I do split the axle and drop it down without spearing myself on it in some hilarious manner, am I going to be able to present the two halves back together without fighting some hitherto unknown force?

Should I just tighten the bolts, get out of there, and replace the whole axle when it starts to make death rattles?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they aren't lock washers, it's a pair of pressure distributing crescents.

The u-joint carrier is sealed by a thin cap on the diff end, and another that connects to the boot on the other. These caps are sealed with a non-setting gasket (blue) or locktite 574, which seems to be about as expensive as printer ink.

The axle can be pushed hubwards, and swung down quite easily. Flange bolts are 10mm star type.

Going to open it up, pack it with molly u-joint grease, then clean and gasket it. Better safe than sorry, and looks like quite an easy job apart from the location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.