Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..... There will have been many threads relating to tyres on here!

This morning in torrential rain I had several ' moments' when the cheap hard tyres on the front let go entirely and I was heading for the ditch and only luck and driving skills :Beer: kept me on the black stuff

Went to a tyre garage and asked about replacements. Couldn't afford Michielin and ther are not recommended tyres anyway

Garage man recommended continental as Merc approved tyres at £275 a pair or Barum which are made by Continental and virtually the same but £225 fitted wi balancing and valves and VAT etc

I went for them! The whine at road speed has gone and the grip is exceptional- sorted and saving up for the two back ones now:tazz:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I put all weather conti's on mine as well. When you're ready to purchase the other 2, make sure you price shop them with tirerack.com if you can. Or discount tire. Just to make sure you're getting the best deal.

A good tire makes the most difference in ride, I was shocked to learn early on. Nicely done :)

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was amazed at the difference and when my mechanic said the whine was probably tyres I was convinced it was a duff diff or gearbox but - hey! tyres it was
Over here we can buy tyres mail order but by the time you have taken them to a tyre garage and they have charges you for balancing and new valves and recycling the old tyres you might as well go to them in the first place

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
298 Posts
I have a set of 16" wheels with virtually new Goodyear vector 4 seasons if you are interested. These have been fantastic in winter and great on wet roads in summer. The wheels have been recently refurbed.

Mark

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds interesting Mark- do you have photographs and an estimate of price?

Went on Ebay last night (or at least my son did looking after my interests) and founf National Tyres (where I got them) advertising the same tyres complete with drive in and out fitting balancing, valves VAT the whole thing for £166! £60 saving for the same thing brought through Ebay
Dont get me wrong- I was prepared to pay for the advice off the tyre guy as to what would fit and what would work but for £160 he offered me the same tyres I already had on which had let go!
Strange pricing policy there somewhere

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
I hate the Pirelli P7's I have on my car they whine ( I also thought I had problems I thought wheel bearings so noisey) They are useless in the wet or snow (as some of you will know I skidded in the jan snow and crashed) and I find the car very jiggle and unsettled on the road. Im looking for a less noisey tyre and hopefully more grip was thinking of Hankook's but ive got totally confused on the whole issue.

Dave

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
298 Posts
That sounds interesting Mark- do you have photographs and an estimate of price?

Went on Ebay last night (or at least my son did looking after my interests) and founf National Tyres (where I got them) advertising the same tyres complete with drive in and out fitting balancing, valves VAT the whole thing for £166! £60 saving for the same thing brought through Ebay
Dont get me wrong- I was prepared to pay for the advice off the tyre guy as to what would fit and what would work but for £160 he offered me the same tyres I already had on which had let go!
Strange pricing policy there somewhere
Hi I'd be looking at around £275for the wheels with tyres. Definitely willing to negotiate as they wont fit the new car I'm picking up on Mon.
The tyres have less than 2k miles.
I'll take photos this weekend and post a link.
BTW I also have a set of 4 seasons on the Octavia I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Mark

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I hate the Pirelli P7's I have on my car they whine ( I also thought I had problems I thought wheel bearings so noisey) They are useless in the wet or snow (as some of you will know I skidded in the jan snow and crashed) and I find the car very jiggle and unsettled on the road. Im looking for a less noisey tyre and hopefully more grip was thinking of Hankook's but ive got totally confused on the whole issue.

Dave
Funny isn't it? Our R171 came with P7 all round and I find them to be fine all round tyres. They hung on well on the mountain twisties in the Dolomtes and someone in a VW Scirroco tried to hang with me in the turns on the way home today R) .... Tried, didn't manage it though...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny isn't it? Our R171 came with P7 all round and I find them to be fine all round tyres. They hung on well on the mountain twisties in the Dolomtes and someone in a VW Scirroco tried to hang with me in the turns on the way home today R) .... Tried, didn't manage it though...:biglaugh:
My r170 has p7s I find them great stick like s#it to a blanket , had p 0 on my jag they where great too

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark- that sounds good but might need to save some pennies first unless you need a quick sale

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi I'd be looking at around £275for the wheels with tyres. Definitely willing to negotiate as they wont fit the new car I'm picking up on Mon.
The tyres have less than 2k miles.
I'll take photos this weekend and post a link.
BTW I also have a set of 4 seasons on the Octavia I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Mark
id be interested in these mark if dolau doesent want them as my wheels need a refurb
if I did buy them dolau I would have a very good set of tyres for sale :Beer:

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beer belly if you are ready to buy I am happy for you to have them as I would have to save some pennies first.... Need to get my second set of 18" first

·
Registered
4 Posts
can u give me some advice please

I have just brought a SLK and the tyres are completely bald. can someone please tell me where I can buy tyres and get them fitted, I work various hours so if I have to get them fitted it would have to be at a convenient time for me.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,664 Posts
As you have spelt it 'tyres' not 'tires' we can assume you are in the UK, South Africa or Oz/NZ!

If it's the UK try blackcircles.com ( not the cheapest, if you scour the online sites you can get another 5% off )

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nimbusgb is right- they are cheap but as your name is fantastic hick I guess youbwouldnbe no better at fitting tyres than I would andnsonyou have to pay a tyre fitter to change the tyres for you plus balance plus valves and usually seems to me that you might as well get them done at the local tyre shop
Ask l found out on eBay you can find national tyres and a great offer including fitting and valves and balancing andnthennmake an appointment to have them fitted when it inconvenient for you
2 ba rums £160 and I can recommend them alsonannoffer on four on there

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Nimbusgb is right- they are cheap but as your name is fantastic hick I guess youbwouldnbe no better at fitting tyres than I would andnsonyou have to pay a tyre fitter to change the tyres for you plus balance plus valves and usually seems to me that you might as well get them done at the local tyre shop
Ask l found out on eBay you can find national tyres and a great offer including fitting and valves and balancing andnthennmake an appointment to have them fitted when it inconvenient for you
2 ba rums £160 and I can recommend them alsonannoffer on four on there
Wot 'e said.
But with fewer typos, more regular use of spaces, and recognition that you are Car Fanatics Chick, rather than a fanatic hick.
;)

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its that damn Ipad - I keep hitting n and B instead of space bar

Tolak- is that Abe? form odd world? I have just found him on Itunes speaking but not the game

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
Glad you got the help you needed...now help us out and complete your profile with your vehicle and location information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.