Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Hope you're all doing well.

I'm changing my tyres soon, I've currently got Pzeros and I hate them!

What tyres do you guys use? And also my main question is can I fit 255s at the back instead of the standard 245s? Will the AMG wheel take the wider tyre at the rear?

Many thanks.:smile:

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
130 Posts
We've got 255s on our 2006 SLK55 without any problem; I would definitely go for that size again. As far as I know Jeff has them on his 2009 too.
Regarding brands the Michelin PS2 are well regarded if you want the most grip.
On ours we run the Conti extremecontact DW - great overall tire with a bit lower noise and more comfort than the Michelin.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I'll order the 255s then, wasn't sure if it will be too wide, thanks again for the confirmation. :)

Also I'm torn between the Michilen PSS or the Conti sport contact5

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I'll order the 255s then, wasn't sure if it will be too wide, thanks again for the confirmation. :)

Also I'm torn between the Michilen PSS or the Conti sport contact5
I have 255s, no problems, that extra bit of width looks great.

I have the Contis on mine which are great. Not tried the PSSs.

Reactions: Benzedup

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,698 Posts
Currently have the standard 225/40/18 on the fronts, no reason to change them I just want a bit more traction, so will go for 255/35/18 at the rear on the next set! :)

Either PSS or contis sport contact5.
I was thinking about trying 235/35 on the fronts, firstly to add a little more rim protection and secondly to match the 'fit' of the rears.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I am most pleased with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have the 255/35 R18 on the rears. I will going for my 3rd set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my next change of the rears in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,579 Posts
I was thinking about trying 235/35 on the fronts, firstly to add a little more rim protection and secondly to match the 'fit' of the rears.
I have Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 tyres all round they seem pretty good for the money but still pretty easy to break traction at the the rear when you light 'em up!

Mine are on larger rims set up as follows: Front 19 x 8.5" with 235/35 and Rear 19 x 9.5 with 265/30, so not a direct comparison. Never had any rubbing of tyres on the stock suspension and have heard of people fitting 275 tyres at the rear with no issues. @Benzedup is your car lowered? It looks to be. If so you'll have a little less room for manouvre. Offsets obviously make a big difference too.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 tyres all round they seem pretty good for the money but still pretty easy to break traction at the the rear when you light 'em up!

Mine are on larger rims set up as follows: Front 19 x 8.5" with 235/35 and Rear 19 x 9.5 with 265/30, so not a direct comparison. Never had any rubbing of tyres on the stock suspension and have heard of people fitting 275 tyres at the rear with no issues. @Benzedup is your car lowered? It looks to be. If so you'll have a little less room for manouvre. Offsets obviously make a big difference too.
Hi mate,
Yes the car is sitting on Adjustable Coilovers.

My next tyres will be conti or PSS, I want maximum grip! :)

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
235/40/18 on 7.5 and 255/35/18 on 8.5 is the standard setup for an AMG. Just ran out of my Conti's and put PSS (3) on the front again, next week the rears. I read somewhere that the PSS-4 has less thread on them. I measured the PSS-3 fronts having 8 mm to start with.

Really love those Michelins.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am most pleased with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have the 255/35 R18 on the rears. I will going for my 3rd set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my next change of the rears in the next few weeks.
How do you find the grip on them?

Any drawbacks?

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,698 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

Any drawbacks?
Michelin Pilot Super Sports grip better than all my previous tyres: OEM Pirellis, Goodyear Eagle F1, and Yokohama. The others have either squeaked on hard turns or have slight traction loss with fast/hard acceleration from 0 mph.

Haven't noticed any drawbacks so far. Michelin PSS also lasts a tad longer on tread life/wear.

I do not track the vehicle and remember the Michelin PSS are rated as summer tyres.

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts

Any drawbacks?
Not with my trusted 350. On the 55: don't know yet. The conti's loose grip (F+R ) when pushed and the fronts had the white canvas shining through the sidewalls even though there was enough thread left to make it legal. But they where fitted before I had thought about it. Now I did, so PSS it is. Dealer had to special order it. They have only so many agreements with tire suppliers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.