Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using Y88 load tyres on the 55. Load rating is 560kg as opposed to 630 for the Y92 but since the car only weighs 1540kg it seems like there shouldn't be a problem?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
252 Posts
I went from 92y to 90y (rears only) and immediately noticed the difference. Sidewalls were too mobile and car was more apt to oversteer. Partially addressed by increasing the tire pressure but ... I definitely do not recommend dropping below 92. I'd certainly never consider it again.

FWIW.

tn

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like I need to stick with the 92 ' s. Been doing some research and Load Rating not only has insurance implications but handling characteristics are different. I am gong with the Mich Pilot Super Sport and the front ones (225) have a better wet rating than the 88's. In fact the 92 slips into the top category for wet grip in the EU tyre labelling. The stiffness apparently gives improved handling too. The price gap is enormous too so I guess you get what you pay for! I will report back when fitted and tested. Be interesting to compare with the Pirelli Rossos.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.