Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed these on to SLKCop already, but I thought I'd put them in here as it seemed like the most logical folder to pass on some info about a couple of great hill country drives in central Texas. If you're ever this way, I highly suggest both, although the one out to Leakey is definately the best, more rural, less development, and overall more TWISTY!

The first is west of Austin. Coming from san antonio, I go up 281 north and cut over on ... I think highway 71 towards austin and then take the back way up to Lake Travis. I'm not sure of the exact roads, but it's a heck of a drive. If you go on google or yahoo maps and map out the route from The Oasis restaurant on lake travis to Johnson City, it will take you on the route I'm referring to I believe. You should pass over the dam by lake travis for it. Also, if you do the full drive to Johnson City and back to Austin round-trip, you can stop off there at Texas Hills Vineyard in Johnson City to pick up a bottle of wine. They have an EXCELLENT port bianco and port rubino.

The other really good one is out highway 16 from san antonio, through Bandera, to Medina, TX. I usually stop in medina at this little restaurant with freshly made, insanely good apple pie they make with apples from their own on-site orchard. Its Love Creek Orchards if I'm not mistaken. From there, I take a farm road out to Leakey, TX. Once again yahoo or google maps could give you more specific directions.

Both of these drives are out of the way, but they're some of the best driving in central texas. Also, the view from the patio dining at The Oasis is incredible at sunset. If you're ever planning on a weekend getaway down to Austin or something, shoot me a message ahead of time and maybe we can meet up at The Oasis for a bite and some drivin'.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
cousjcc - agree completely on both, and can't help with the names of the roads around Travis either; I think the only difference is I prefer sunset at Carlos n' Charles to the Oasis. There are tons of cool little roads around Lake Travis - again, couldn't remember the names for the life of me, but all twisty with lots of altitude changes as well.

Wife and I are planning our next trip over, and I can almost guarantee that we'll spend a couple of days in Austin - we are thinking the second and third weeks of August. Also thinking about puttering around out in the hill country west of Austin as well, which is headed down towards your neck of the woods. Hadn't though about going all the way to San Antonio, but that could be a option as well. The wife wants to head north towards Tennessee and spend some time in the mountains - personally I think she's hoping to go visit Elvis in Memphis again. We did that a couple of years ago when Hertz was still renting Jag's and had a great time.

Obviously company makes drives like this more fun - I'll post details as we sort them out.

·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool man, shoot me a message if you wanna meet up while you're in Austin. I'd be game for trying that other restaurant since The Oasis is the only one I've been to up there.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have made that trip through Johnson City heading to Austin great drive but it was a business trip. What surprised us were the lack of fences but the presents of what we called Texas gates it seems each owner tries to have the biggest most impessive entrance. The Hill Country is impressive wish we had the time then to take some of the smaller roads but hopfully we can enjoy them in the future.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you out by Marble Falls (US281 & 71) go north on 281, look for Park Road 4 (to Inks Lake State Park). 2 lane, great drops (like a roller coaster!) and extremely twisted, beautiful views of lake. Pass Inks Lake State Park and come out on TX29.

Right takes you to Burnet and US281. North to Lampasas is beautiful.
Left to Llano and you can stop at Buchanan dam. Keep going to Llano and take 71 back to Austin / 281 to San Antonio.

Also, Horseshoe Bay has a Marriott resort, right outside of Marble Falls.
If you hit Marble Falls, stop at Blue Bonnet Cafe and order some pie!
Great family cooking and dozens of pies from which to choose. Yum!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're out by Marble Falls this time of year make sure and stop by Sweet Berry Farms and pick some strawberries-so much better than anything you can find in the store. http://www.sweetberryfarm.com/
I'm back in TX next week so thinking of taking a drive thru some of the hill country for some wildflower action, so if we are close by, might stop by for a quick snack.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last year I was sent to Dallas on business, and from the air I saw endless roads stretching to the horizon. It's a long way from Seattle, but I would love to take a high speed open air trip through your part of the States some day. Is there a SLK Club in Texas, in case I wanted to have a destination?

·
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really much of a club per se in TX cause we're all kinda scattered. I've been putting SLKworld business cards in SLK windows in SA to drum up some locals to no avail.

If you're headed to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, or Houstin area shoot a PM to SLKC0p (dallas), myself (austin/san antonio) or SLKman (houston) and we'll join ya most likely. Any excuse for a drive lol.

A PM works better cause we get email alerts. Might not see a msg on the forum for a while (least speaking for myself lol).

·
Registered
579 Posts
I live in the Austin area near Lake Travis. Though Carols and Charile's and the Oasis are fun places, the food is nothing to writ home about. Traffic in the metro area has increased so much in recent years that driving here is not the pleasure it once was.

If one really wants to enjoy driving in the Hill Country, one must get away from Austin and San Antonio. Kerrville is a good hub for enjoying the spectacular roads and scenery. That's why motorcyclists gravitate to the area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts