Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. today, a Brabus Smart Car(these people have WAY too much $$$$$'s).

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
...I guess it's where you spend it all Mark. Cath has a gf, still single by the way lads, that when it came time to trade her Hyundai Accent, decided on a Brabus Smart! Nick named "Blacky" - she loves it. 95% of her driving is just around town and it's just her and the cat (that doesn't drive), so why not!?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry JJ, but, imo, there are smarter(that IS a pun, by the way) ways to spend money...to each his/her own.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
actually I think the SmartCar would be a really fun toy to have around the golf course. We sat in one at the dealer when I was checking out the SLK, and the SLS. When you sit in it, it feels like a full sized cabin car.

As far as Tesla goes, it's a novelty item. Not wanting to get into politics and all, but if I wanted to have something no one else has or very few people have, I'd get a Tesla roadster. There's a Tesla dealer about 20 min from where I live. There's also a McLauren/Ferrari dealership about 40 min away.

Next time I'm in the area of the Telsa dealership, I'll take a photo of it for y'all.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen 2-3 T's here. I have no problem with electric cars, but I would feel better if they didn't get their charge from the electric company. The pollution they put-out negates the car's lack of pollution.

DO take some pics, but at the McL/Ferrari dealership!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I agree Mark...to each their own. This lady is special - she's very independent (as are most "modern" women, single or partnered - gosh I'm PC) but she's not quite 50 but has early Parkinson's... but maintains her independence and doesn't let it slow her down. She's traveled with us a few times and recently did a bday in Vegas baby!!

So anything that puts a smile on her face and a spring in her step - bravo!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i agree!!!! definitely! kudos to her!

I agree Mark...to each their own. This lady is special - she's very independent (as are most "modern" women, single or partnered - gosh I'm PC) but she's not quite 50 but has early Parkinson's... but maintains her independence and doesn't let it slow her down. She's traveled with us a few times and recently did a bday in Vegas baby!!

So anything that puts a smile on her face and a spring in her step - bravo!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
it's not so much the pollution - there's always C02 released when burning carbon based fuel no matter what... always. It's more the problem of re-charging the energy in the battery. You can build plug in stations all over the place OR you can make battery exchange stations kinda like gas stations - instead of filling up with fuel you go to the station and they change out the batteries for you.

I'll try to get some pics of the McL/Ferrari dealership. I don't think they'll kick us out if we show up in a Corvette and an SLK.

I've seen 2-3 T's here. I have no problem with electric cars, but I would feel better if they didn't get their charge from the electric company. The pollution they put-out negates the car's lack of pollution.

DO take some pics, but at the McL/Ferrari dealership!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would totally rock a Smart Car..

With a 1300cc motorcycle motor shoved in it.

Electric vehicles are an oddity to me.. seems super odd if one passes you and you hear nothing except for a bit of tire noise and a bit of wind..

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
One of the issues that gets skipped in talking about hybrids and electrics is the cost of the batteries and the infrastructure to support them. No one discusses the recycling of lithium batteries, no one discusses the source of the electricity for pure electrics (coal fired, gas fired, nuke?). I read somewhere the Prius is 2-3 times more expensive resource wise to build and recycle than a typical gas powered vehicle.

A lot of green initiatives look good, but are full of holes. "Bugger is in the details"

Tibbett - I agree...it's surprising people haven't started mod'ing Smarts.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I guess it's where you spend it all Mark. Cath has a gf, still single by the way lads, that when it came time to trade her Hyundai Accent, decided on a Brabus Smart! Nick named "Blacky" - she loves it. 95% of her driving is just around town and it's just her and the cat (that doesn't drive), so why not!?
JJ, I'm going to add this lady to my prayer list, but that doesn't down play my thoughts....

You also state the lack of people pointing out the pit falls of batteries; this has been talked about very much, even been brought-up on Top Gear. And people HAVE put m/c engines in Smart Cars(
) . Heck, young Mr Tibb is probably working on putting his SLK's engine in a bike:rb Krazy kids :biglaugh:

·
Registered
166 Posts
My old "street" bike was actually outputting more horsepower (albeit a TON less torque) than my SLK. It also weighed almost 200lbs more than what my current toy does though..I'm only aiming for a measly 200rwhp +/- a few with this bike.

I remember reading the few stories that have popped up of Teslas being completely drained and it killing the batteries.. no warranty and IIRC it was over $20k to replace!!

I'm actually looking more into pursuing a kit car currently Galo.. I figure something sub 2500lb with a LS series V8 should surprisingly get decent gas mileage. Only issue with my plans for a quick V8 powered car is that I would be the one building and driving it.. I might get gas mileage for a few days before I start driving like..well..me and then get bored with the power and boost it.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tibb, I truly hope you survive your "power age"! I think you could tell I get a lot of fun out of my lil' ol' stock 350 R)
Just have fun and be safe, my young friend! I want you joining us for many meets in the future :tu:

·
Registered
166 Posts
With or without an SLK I'll be more than glad to come drive with you guys. I doubt I'll ever get out of my "power age" since it's been ongoing since my father dropped me into the car I learned how to drive in, a '71 Nova SS.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
you would have loved our 2011 Camaro 2SS.... 600hp :)

With or without an SLK I'll be more than glad to come drive with you guys. I doubt I'll ever get out of my "power age" since it's been ongoing since my father dropped me into the car I learned how to drive in, a '71 Nova SS.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Powerwise..yes.. otherwise, no. I've been in a few Nickey and Lingenfelter Camaros/Vettes of the newest vintage and while powerful..just not really.. I don't know it seems like something is missing from them. I absolutely LOVE old muscle cars though..the new stuff just doesn't charm me very much. I liked the new Challenger SRT8's up until I drove one..then it went right back to not really caring for any of the new cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts