Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This route is touted as the "crookedest road in Texas", is a renowned motorcycle trip, and is also called the "Three Sisters". On weekends, you need to be very cautious of two wheeled traffic around curves and over the steep hills. We ran it on Monday and had no traffic at all.

My partner was driving a new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT which is quite a road machine. He was able to handle any condition presented us and could power away from the SLK whenever he wished.

You can "Google" this and there is abundant info about the route. You do need a good map as these county roads don't appear on all maps.

Kerrville was our starting point headed south on Tex 16 to Medina. You are barely out of town and the twisty up and downs start. You will have wide sweeping, high speed curves and 15mph switchbacks....and the real fun hasn't even started yet.

At Medina, County Road (CR) 337 heads west to Vanderpool and on west to Leakey (pronounced Lake-ee) . Leakey begins to traditional Sisters loop. So, hold on to your hat and take CR336 north to Tex 41. Turn west on Tex 41 for a few miles of rest, then turn south on CR335. The ups and downs of this section are memorable. When you get down to Camp Wood, turn east on CR337 back to Leakey. The whole route took about 4 hours with vista stops, etc. so a late lunch in Leakey was enjoyable.

There have been numerous deaths, crashes, and driving off cliffs through the years, so the counties and state are doing much now to make the route safer. Most severe drop-offs now have barriers for protection and paved shoulders have been added to many parts of the road. One still needs to stay within your limits and not get too crazy.

We finished out our day going south to Garner State Park, then east to Bandera and Boerne.

It was a great, top-down day.

Rick:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
yes!!! I know the road well-rode that area on my motorcycle, and SLK...this is a gorgeous area...try park road 37 towards Medina Lake dam as well-great road-ton of fun!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a friend from work that told me about the Twisted Sisters route. Was trying to get some friends with convertibles to run it with me, but we were having trouble finding a common weekend in the fall where everyone is available. We will likely go down in that direction to at least the Fredericksburg, TX area this Spring during Blue Bonnet season (Mar or Apr) for a drive. I hear the Twisted Sisters is really a fun route, but you have to be careful how close you run to the cars in a group to avoid stone chips... best to be the lead car ;-)

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
645 Posts
Thanks! I live in Dallas but had not heard of it. The BMW Club goes down there a lot, checking with a friend to see'f they've done it. On my list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts