Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Got her out on the track for the first time just to see if she and I could work together or if she was going to be a biatch. Modified with parts previously mentioned, note that as far as front camber goes we couldn't quite get to -2.5* but -1.5 for the rear was well within range. Car drove quite well, the Drexler LSD felt good and didn't rattle but the front turn in was soft, it was hard to feel what was actually happening there. Have ordered a Ultra Racing front strut brace which should help as will proper 200 tread wear track tyres.

Next big jobs are to enhance the engine and transmission cooling systems, it's the last thing that I really want to do but past experience shows that 20 minutes around a hot track does stress them. Cooking an engine/transmission would be a disaster, used components like that are crazy priced here.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
172 Posts
Next big jobs are to enhance the engine and transmission cooling systems, it's the last thing that I really want to do but past experience shows that 20 minutes around a hot track does stress them. Cooking an engine/transmission would be a disaster, used components like that are crazy priced here.
Start with opening your bonnet(hood?)vents, just remove the covers on the bottom, I did and the heat coming through them when coming to a stop is tremendous, I guess you won't be driving in the rain much so little chance getting your battery or brakebooster wet.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That sounds like a good idea F, thanks.

Thinking further on the mushy front turn in problem, Ultra do list a under car front end brace, shipping would be expensive but I'm going to see if something similar could be made. Oh and just as I arrived home a 45 kph speed limit kicked in, time to try the new Foxwell scanner.

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Got her out on the track for the first time just to see if she and I could work together or if she was going to be a biatch. Modified with parts previously mentioned, note that as far as front camber goes we couldn't quite get to -2.5* but -1.5 for the rear was well within range. Car drove quite well, the Drexler LSD felt good and didn't rattle but the front turn in was soft, it was hard to feel what was actually happening there. Have ordered a Ultra Racing front strut brace which should help as will proper 200 tread wear track tyres.

Nice! The AMG does have extra coolers, so you might want to try out the stock stuff first. AMG's are usually pretty good with factory cooling. Being nose heavy is what is killing your turn in. How was your understeer? If we could get a stiffer rear sway bar, we would have a lot more options for handling.

Reactions: 260DET

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
What I'm thinking now is that perhaps there is insufficient front scrub radius using the stock 17" wheels which would reduce corner steering feel, the steering does feel dead. The wider wheels I have are being reserved for better tyres, they should give a bit more scrub radius.

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
What I'm thinking now is that perhaps there is insufficient front scrub radius using the stock 17" wheels which would reduce corner steering feel, the steering does feel dead. The wider wheels I have are being reserved for better tyres, they should give a bit more scrub radius.
Wider wheels don't change the scrub radius, only the offset changes the scrub radius. The steering feel on these isn't the best for sure. I would look at poly or hard mounting the steering rack for a first try. Poly bushings in the suspension would help too if you don't have them.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Wider wheels don't change the scrub radius, only the offset changes the scrub radius. The steering feel on these isn't the best for sure. I would look at poly or hard mounting the steering rack for a first try. Poly bushings in the suspension would help too if you don't have them.
Agree but to get my wider front wheels to clear the struts they have to be spaced out which takes the wheel center line out too. Am keeping the standard sports suspension ride height to help tyre clearance. Yes to harder mounting the rack but I've never seen poly bushes for sale.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
While waiting for the fluid cooler parts the big front brake kit did arrive so that was the next job. Nicely finished and a straight fit plus it saved 2 kg in weight for each side compared with stock. The calipers are 6 pots that use readily available pads, the fully floating rotors 345x32 which give just the right clearance for the 17" wheels.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Don't trust those plastic anti roll bar links at the back so made some metal substitutes. Not my finest piece of work but the important aim was so make them unbreakable. Spacers will be needed for the bottom retaining bolts. Pic shows stock link in the middle for comparison.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,278 Posts
Don't trust those plastic anti roll bar links at the back so made some metal substitutes. Not my finest piece of work but the important aim was so make them unbreakable. Spacers will be needed for the bottom retaining bolts. Pic shows stock link in the middle for comparison.

View attachment 603966
Nice job 👍🏻

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Serious progress!!! The adapter plate for the external oil cooler is done and will be fitted once the genuine gasket arrives, have a Victor Ruis gasket but it just didn't look right. Getting clearance to the power steering reservoir took some working out and a groove in the plate's under side was milled to allow coolant bypass flow. Pics should be self explanatory.

Wood Composite material Auto part Gas Plastic
Automotive exterior Wood Auto part Metal Bumper

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
After a lot of work a fair bit involving planning we have some results. The engine oil cooler set up is done and dusted, it took two goes but I'm pleased with the final result. Both the engine and transmission fluid radiators are mounted in front of the plastic inner guards, L and R front wheels respectively. Air comes through the removed fog light openings to the radiators and out holes cut in the inner guards into the wheel well low pressure areas. Pics below of the oil cooler setup.

Engine bay view, PS reservoir is central, AN 10 fittings in and out from the adapter at L to the thermostat at R.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

Oil radiator lower L connected to thermostat, inner guard and front bumper will cover all this.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

41 - 60 of 66 Posts