Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Moving right along as quickly as things outside my control will allow :) K-mac adjustable front camber and caster bushes have been installed, these appear to be good gear but man, have they jacked the prices up recently. Covid tax? The Bilstein B16's have been fitted at the front, their shinyness just shows how much camber these things run, looks like ~10 degrees to me :oops: That should help turn in and add some inside tyre wear if it was a street car, which it isn't

Pics are self explanatory.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle brake Motor vehicle
Light Locking hubs Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,257 Posts
Starting to think about disconnecting stuff, stability control is the first priority so going by the video disconnecting the yaw sensor might be the go. Anyone done this? Where does the little sucker hide?

Little sucker hides under the front seat.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
But, other than the ABS, will that stuff up something else like the speedo?
Speedo can read from any of the 4 sensors. You will lose ABS, ESP and traction control.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and info blokes, they are appreciated. Thinking aloud now, disconnecting the yaw sensor will only affect stability control and not ABS too? Just wondering if there is a connexion between the two, like when braking hard the ABS will be deprived of a yaw sensor input. Suck it and see I guess although if dyno mode is used ABS is disabled anyway.

On using dyno mode to disable the speed limiter, anyone know if it's permanent or does it relapse when the engine is turned off. Will have to think about Sneaky Pete's wheel speed signals info above to see if there is there is a way to switch off signals to the limiter without buggering something else up like the speedo. Hmmmm.

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Dyno mode will turn off each time. I don't believe the yaw sensor will affect ABS or traction control. Traction control you can fully turn off though, so that is good. If the yaw sensor just kills the ESP that would be perfect. You would just be left with ABS only. You could get a tune and kill the speed limiter ( I think you can even just code that out) and not have to worry about dyno mode.

Reactions: Squishband

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yay, finally received the Drexler clutch type LSD centre, all that's needed now is to get it stuffed into the diff housing then it's up to me to bolt the rear end together including the Bilstein B16 suspension and the custom adjustable arms. That will pretty well finish Stage 1, need to get it out on the track to see how it goes and what Stage 2 may involve (y)

I'm hoping that the stock seat will give enough support but a five point belt will be needed to hold me in, anyone fitted one to their SLK?

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Tool
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Where did you get the Drexler and how much was it?

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Drexler Australia, A$3550.00. Yours would have a bigger diff than mine.
Thanks, they are supposed to be the best, but probably not worth the extra $1,500 for a street car. Track car like yours is a different story.

Reactions: Squishband

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Drexler Australia, A$3550.00
Thanks, they are supposed to be the best, but probably not worth the extra $1,500 for a street car. Track car like yours is a different story.
Yes, I'm looking forward to driving it in anger, I have driven a Nissan with a gear type LSD in anger and it was fine except near the limit when cornering.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
158 Posts
How to make a car faster without spending a dollar. Strip out all unnecessary weight. This car has a special trick , the roof folds away, so take it off ,along with the rams and pump and ancillary parts. Door glasss and ancillaries out, has it still got a vacuum locking system , out , all of it . AC pump and lines , heating system all out. That's a good start to weight reduction, be fast , will slow quicker as well. I wish you Good times at the track , which is where I will be this weekend .

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How to make a car faster without spending a dollar. Strip out all unnecessary weight. This car has a special trick , the roof folds away, so take it off ,along with the rams and pump and ancillary parts. Door glasss and ancillaries out, has it still got a vacuum locking system , out , all of it . AC pump and lines , heating system all out. That's a good start to weight reduction, be fast , will slow quicker as well. I wish you Good times at the track , which is where I will be this weekend .
To keep it a closed car the roof will be fixed in place with all the operating gear removed, that's as far as I've got in thinking ahead. Have you got incar video of yours at the track? What tyres and pressures?

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
158 Posts
To keep it a closed car the roof will be fixed in place with all the operating gear removed, that's as far as I've got in thinking ahead. Have you got incar video of yours at the track? What tyres and pressures?
We race karts , much more basic stripped down racing machines . lol . But i've thought lots about how SLKs' could track day in a Mazda Miata style with no top. I've read how your car is going to be track dedicated , yet there was no mention of a strip down , which is common on track cars here , hells' my list would still be street legal .
Tyres and pressures ? LOL, you could/should start a new thread on that question alone , still LOL. Okay for Holy of Holies Bathhurst 18' all day , for a track like Eastern Creek I would like 16' to punch out of slow speed corners, the Miata class over here uses a grooved slick, which is borderline illegal for street use, yet is classified street for track use, as always check the rules and keep in that murky grey area, good times

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We race karts , much more basic stripped down racing machines . lol . But i've thought lots about how SLKs' could track day in a Mazda Miata style with no top. I've read how your car is going to be track dedicated , yet there was no mention of a strip down , which is common on track cars here , hells' my list would still be street legal .
Tyres and pressures ? LOL, you could/should start a new thread on that question alone , still LOL. Okay for Holy of Holies Bathhurst 18' all day , for a track like Eastern Creek I would like 16' to punch out of slow speed corners, the Miata class over here uses a grooved slick, which is borderline illegal for street use, yet is classified street for track use, as always check the rules and keep in that murky grey area, good times
I do have a stripped out race car but the SLK is to be a fun track car that I want to have mobile soon, To do it full race would require a lot of expensive custom work, there is virtually nothing off the shelf. With say a BMW all you have to do is fork out money, to do something comparable with the SLK would take way too much time and money.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The latest development involves the question of adding external oil coolers for the engine and transmission. To that end I'm getting a OE engine oil cooler housing to see if it can be modified.. Oh and the diff is still with the mechanic for assembly, waiting, waiting.....

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
And 3 months later the Drexler saga came to an end. Basically Germany sent the wrong LSD and what with Covid............ Anyway the rear end is all bolted together and in the car, just a few adjustments to be made and the external bits and pieces put together. Then it's off to get it's roadworthy certificate for road registration purpose so it can be driven, yay! Mandatory pics are self explanatory, the white stuff on the cradle bushes is hard polyurethane to stiffen them up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Rim
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Locking hubs
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Saw Automotive lighting

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,278 Posts
Wondered where you’d gone to Richard ;) You’d think they’d triple check things when sending something to the other end of the world🙄

Really glad to hear that it’s coming together and looking forward to the next stage.

Reactions: 260DET
21 - 40 of 66 Posts