Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than just post bits here and there it seems like a good idea to keep it all together so this is the beginning of the journey. For me the first essential is grip, Bilstein B16 kit, adjustable suspension arms, 8.5 and 9.5 wheels, big brake kit, Wavetrac LSD. Not concerned about power now particularly with the 7,000 rpm engine, although a Pedal Box is on it's way, because this is for fun and for going too fast through corners, there is only one circuit available to me where the 250 kph speed limiter will be a problem. That's all for now, a couple of essential pics.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
Subscribed.

Should be fun seeing the mods that go on this car to meet this quest.

Reactions: npb748r

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
For me the first essential is grip, Bilstein B16 kit, adjustable suspension arms, 8.5 and 9.5 wheels, big brake kit, Wavetrac LSD. Not concerned about power now particularly with the 7,000 rpm engine, although a Pedal Box is on it's way,
All excellent choices in mods except maybe the pedal box. You will lose the linearity of the throttle. That is one thing the guys hate about the stock BMW's, at 50% throttle by pedal travel the engine is actually at 80% throttle. It makes it harder to modulate correctly on the track. Good luck with her!

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,971 Posts
Subscribed.

Should be fun seeing the mods that go on this car to meet this quest.
I am NOT sitting on top of a racing car, unless it's the presentation lap. ;)
Besides, with my weight the roof will go.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer, the Wavetrac LSD does not fit, too big, part # is 48.309.185WK for anyone interested it's for the V8's. The next choice is a plate type Drexler which on the plus side will be better for my purposes but the minus involves considerable wallet pain.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drexler price turned out to be AU$3550.00 including taxes so I've ordered one, catch is that the axles have to be modded at extra cost :( The thing is as far as I'm concerned there is no point in doing this project if something which is changed is not changed for the best available within reason.

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Drexler price turned out to be AU$3550.00 including taxes so I've ordered one, catch is that the axles have to be modded at extra cost :( The thing is as far as I'm concerned there is no point in doing this project if something which is changed is not changed for the best available within reason.
Wow, that is a big hit to the wallet! I have found that many times the SLK won't be listed on compatibility lists. I would find the C series with the same rear end and look it up under that model and also make sure older models aren't compatible (SLK32?). Good luck.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waiting, waiting, waiting :( Anyway had a good look at the B16 suspension kit and particularly the springs, it looks like Bilstein's aim was to stiffen up the rear and lighten the front, presumably to put more roll load on the rear to reduce understeer.

Looking at the front ARB it's leverage length can be reduced which will increase it's effectiveness by simply making a suitable adjustable bracket which will bolt to the two holes each end so with that option and damper adjustment I'm hoping to get the handling where it's wanted.

Re the front ARB, it seems like it's bonded to it's two rubber bushes, it will only rotate by twisting the bushes, not rotating inside them. Is this normal? Never seen it before.

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
No, the roll bar should rotate inside the bushings. The front ARB does have adjustment, my guess it is 55 vs others. My 55 is already on the least aggressive setting (shortest). The rears are going to be a challenge as the bar where it attaches is nearly vertical so adding holes wouldn't do anything. We just need to find a larger diameter bar that would fit. C55 would be the first one to look at since the rear suspension is nearly identical. Overall the SLK55 is 2 inches wider in back though.

Reactions: Trev5 and 260DET

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dropped the front roll bar to get a better look and found that the bushes won't move on the bar at all and with them in place the bar can't be removed without major work ;) Of course if the bushes are fixed to the bar then they will increase it's effectiveness, it's quite noticeable. I'm wondering if the '09 facelift model is different. Anyway it's best to do one suspension mod at a time so leave it as is for now.

Maybe Bilstein have got it all worked out for me :)

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Here are the C55 bars, rear looks completely different than ours. :(

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Must say that this is a very 'interesting' exercise,100% different to any other performance car project I've done. Mainly because there is virtually nothing race orientated available which has meant going search crazy o_O So what's the latest? Adjustable arms for the rear suspension, rod ended was the first preference but forget that bro, it's poly bushes or nothing. OK, that's less than optimum but if that's it what's available? Ones from the US and Poland, OE has a ball joint at one end, in the absence of a OE type ball joint the Polish 'Silver' branded solution was a bolt inside a tapered sleeve while the US one was supplied with just a bolt and a spacer :rolleyes: Not hard to work out which one will be used.

Product Gas Auto part Metal Electric blue

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
Nice find, I have some camber bars sitting here I haven't put on yet. Let us know how good the fitment is once you get them on.

Reactions: Squishband

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Starting to think about disconnecting stuff, stability control is the first priority so going by the video disconnecting the yaw sensor might be the go. Anyone done this? Where does the little sucker hide?

·
*Registered
2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,213 Posts
If you want everything gone, just get rid of a wheel speed sensor up front. I was thinking of putting a switch on one of them so I could defeat it when I wanted.

Reactions: Squishband
1 - 20 of 66 Posts