Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 1998 slk230 won't start. Been running fine forever and this morning just turns over with no hint of firing!??! Checked for spark and it's good. Fuel pump is humming so it's OK??? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi. My 1998 slk230 won't start. Been running fine forever and this morning just turns over with no hint of firing!??! Checked for spark and it's good. Fuel pump is humming so it's OK??? Any thoughts?
CEL lit?
Codes?

Search returns many results (high on the list, CPS)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes prior to the car dieing. won't start so can't tell if light will stay on or not. I don't have a code reader just take it to Autozone for free.
As for the CPS (both crank and cam) I'll look into them, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is 3 years old and I tried jumping it thinking it might be weak but that didn't help either. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I meant to say that it might be the fuel filter but had no symptoms prior to yesterday morning. Thanks

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,502 Posts
In the old day of carburetors, you could just throw some starter fuel down it and if it fired up, even just temporarily you knew it was a fuel starvation issue. I don't wish to go backwards, but there was some advantage to that.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,965 Posts
Nowadays you have to use an aerosol can of starter fluid into the air ducts -- but the idea's the same -- to answer the question "is it missing fuel or is it missing spark".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to update the issue.... fortunately I didn't have to have it towed to the dealership for service!!! I kept cranking it over morning noon and night for a few minutes with no results but then this morning she kicked a bit :) so I kept cranking and it started! Not sure the cause but suspecting a fuel clog that blew through. I'll change the filter soon but in the mean time it's running like a clock again and no CEL lights or codes were ever thrown. Again, thanks to all that replied and may all our car problems be self healing!

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,502 Posts
If you're not using it, get some Techron concentrate plus and stick in with a full tank of gas. It may help. Don't use with every tank of gas, but maybe every two or three.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,475 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the additive advise. I'll pick up bottle and add it after i change the fuel filter. She's still running fine :)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,835 Posts
Basil's solution !!

Just in case it happens again, this may help. (maybe not with the problem, but will sure get rid of the frustration!!) :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.