Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was searching around trying to get information about turning off the ESP on my '05 SLK 55.

I turned it off but it seemed to drive pretty much the same (I didn't really drive it that hard though).

What, exactly, does it change by hitting the button? Does throttle response change? How much is the ESP still working?

Thanks!

Dagoof

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Here you go

Set binnacle to odometer display
Turn ignition off then to acc position ..... frst click
Press the reset button 3 * quickly
Binnacle displays special menu
Use page buttons to select display with dyno mode and up down buttons to set dyno mode.

Be careful now as both abs and esp are turned off!

If you aren't getting a flashing esp light occasionally in an slk 55 then you aren't trying! :) :)

I punched it at 50 on the motorway this afternoon with slightly wet roads and got all sorts of flashing alerts! :) :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to get out to some open road before going Dyno Mode. So with ESP off, that merely cuts the amount of computer interjection for ESP only but still allows for full ABS, correct?
I've seen some posts mention BAS.... what is that?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I will try to get out to some open road before going Dyno Mode. So with ESP off, that merely cuts the amount of computer interjection for ESP only but still allows for full ABS, correct?
Correct.

I've seen some posts mention BAS.... what is that?
Brake Emergency Assist. Most people, when braking in an emergency, don't brake anywhere near hard enough. The car senses emergency braking, takes over the function from your foot ( :eek: !! ), and stops you in a much shorter distance.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
So with the ESP button off, BAS is off also or reduced?
It's still on. With ESP off, the computer still comes to your rescue when needed. It's not truly off, I don't recommend putting it on dyno mode, it really is just for dynoing your car. Everything is shut off, ABS, BAS, ESP, etc.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Dyno mode is the closest thing to full manual you can come on this car. If you have a manual transmission, and you want to beat on it – this is the way to do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...Thanks for all the responses!

To summarize-

ESP ON- Full ESP, ABS, BAS
ESP OFF- Reduced ESP, Full ABS, Full BAS
Dyno mode- No ESP, No ABS, No BAS

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts