Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a really new (5 days now!) Mercedes and SLK owner and was wondering if anyone made a tuner for these cars like the SCT unit I had for my Mustang? It's a 2004 230 K, really surprised me with the power, but like the man said, you can never have too much HP! I've never had any experience with plug in chips but that SCT tuner was really nice and easy to use once you had the tunes loaded in it. Thanks for any help or thoughts!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,361 Posts
Been here 10 years and I don't recall any for a 4 cylinder. Not a good money maker for manufacturers. Even Kleemann does not touch that few cylinders

most members work on pulley additions, etc

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, unfortunately that makes sense. Just thought I'd try something that I was familiar with. Looks like I'll have to go kinda old skool with this car and do it with real parts and wrenches and not have to rely so much on voodoo! LOL!

·
96,361 Posts
I haven't had a r170 since 2002 so see what the current r170 owners/experts have to say :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Email Sacha Ruff, he speaks very good English, at [email protected]
He is with www.speer-chiptuning.de
The site is in German and there is no English version.
They make a sleeve that looks like a larger pulley. That goes over the crank pulley that increases the diameter of the original pulley. That makes the supercharger pulley spin faster. That makes more air to the intake.
They also install a chip to take advantage of the increased air. The chip in the ECU is not in a socket. It is soldered in place. Speer unsolders the old chip and solders in the tuned chip. They give you the option of doing it yourself but I'd rather them do it. They have the experience. (And if something goes wrong it is on them.)
I just sent my ECU to them today. When done, they will send the whole package: ECU, sleeve, new belt to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds interesting. I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. A lot of people have mentioned the pulley swap. I know the stock ECU will compensate to a point, but to really take advantage of the mod, you need to remap the ECU. What is the turn-around time on that and the cost? Does it include shipping? When you get it all on and running, definitely post the the results! btw, not only is this my first Mercedes, it is also my first 4 cyl and supercharged engine! I'm used to big American V-8's! LOL

·
96,361 Posts
Not too late to get a Mercedes SLK Big 8! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe me, I looked at them hard! But the wallet and the wifey said "not right now". But like they say, "Never say never"!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,258 Posts
I had a 230 too, but never modded it up.......just simply jumped to a "slamming six"....and you guessed it. My history is with big 8's too. But the 32 ain't half bad. Except it doesn't "baby ruth" ????

·
Registered
278 Posts
That sounds interesting. I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. A lot of people have mentioned the pulley swap. I know the stock ECU will compensate to a point, but to really take advantage of the mod, you need to remap the ECU. What is the turn-around time on that and the cost? Does it include shipping? When you get it all on and running, definitely post the the results! btw, not only is this my first Mercedes, it is also my first 4 cyl and supercharged engine! I'm used to big American V-8's! LOL

V-8's here too. (And I've got one I'm planning on installing in an S-10.)
This is also my first MB.
This mod is going to take me quite a while to do. I am having surgery Monday on my right shoulder. That is going to keep me from doing anything on the car for several months.
The price was 400 EUR. That included everything but my shipping the ECU to them. That price changes as the EUR/USD exchange rate changes.
Don't know the turn around time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
V-8's here too. (And I've got one I'm planning on installing in an S-10.)
This is also my first MB.
This mod is going to take me quite a while to do. I am having surgery Monday on my right shoulder. That is going to keep me from doing anything on the car for several months.
The price was 400 EUR. That included everything but my shipping the ECU to them. That price changes as the EUR/USD exchange rate changes.
Don't know the turn around time.
Ouch! Sounds like rotator cuff? Hope all goes well and quick recovery. Just wondering about the time frame. This car along with my bike are my main means of transport so I wouldn't be able to have it down for an extended period. Right now I'm just trying to see what could be done in a weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.