Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trunk locking issues

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bdhanga 
#1 ·
A couple of days ago I went to get into the trunk of my 2006 slk280 and although there is sound the trunk does not release and open. The partition is in place so I can open and close the roof and access the trunk that way. Can I push the emergency release from the inside while the trunk is opened backwards without messing up anything? Anyone have experience with this? If I can open the trunk changing out the lock would not be a real problem.

#2 ·
I assume there are no warning messages on your display?
so the partition is definitely locked in place

how about doing a battery reset?
disconnect the battery neg cable for a minimum of 30 minutes
reconnect cable and resynch windows and reset clock
try unlocking/opening trunk

#4 ·
minimum of 30 minutes

#5 ·
When the trunk opens backwards it pivots around the lock so trying the emergency release (us Europeans don't have that) is not a good idea I think. Did you already try to open it with the mechanical key that's inside the remote, so unlock it by hand? There is a lock for that small key I believe at the left side of the license plate lights.

#7 ·
trunk release problems

question. there is a plastic moulding by the hand release and the mechanical key and the two license plate lights on the trunk that is secured from the inside with four bolts. This is moulted plastic and flexible enough to break away - easily replaced once the trunk is opened - will removing this moulding give me access to manually release the trunk? Anyone have any experience going in to release the trunk this way? thanks Brian

#9 ·
Question is does it not unlock or does not release when using the release button above the lic plate? If it unlocks you need to check the latch, with the lid open when putting the top down stop mid way and see if you can see the latch and nothing is caught in it. I have had item covering the latch and stopped it from latching. Maybe yours latched but stops it from unlatching.

#11 ·
I read a thread in the German SLK forum from someone who had a similar problem. He put his coat in the trunk and that got stuck between the lock and the latch and he couldn't the trunk open. He took it to an indy who fiddled a bit with the lock, gave the lid a firm pull upwards and hey-ho the trunk was open. Unfortunately he didn't post what the guy exactly did. You might consider going that route before taking destructive measures.
And no, sorry, I have no experience with brute force.

#12 ·
quite confusing, opened the roof enough for trunk to fold back - examined the latch as close as i could and couldn't find anything. I think tomorrow I'm going to open it again crawl in there and remove all the panels and expose the inner workings and take it all apart and find out whats going on. It all appears to be fine and sounds fine, just no release. the arms that hold the trunk up and in reverse appear to be steady enough to secure it even if not latched in the center back. thanks for all your Ideas.

#14 ·
Quick update & the rest of the story. It turned out to be a bad locking unit. My mechanic was able to get to it through opening the roof and the trunk opening up backwards. He basically had to take it all apart from the inside and eventually nuke the electrical lock to get it to release. Apparently once it goes it is locked in place. Truly the only saving grace of this is that the trunk partition was in place, otherwise I have no Idea how this would have played out. Part was 130 and 2.9 hours of work, so around 400 to be back to new - well worth the piece of mind! thank you all for your ideas! Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.