Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the shutoff for the trunk light switch located? I looked all over and darned if I could locate it.

Someone in the past week or so posted a thread about their trunk light not turning off when the trunk was closed, but a search for it didn't bring it up for me. Over the past couple of years I've had an issue with the battery draining after not using the car for awhile. I'm wondering if the trunk light not turning off could be my problem. So I disconnected it this AM after I charged the battery to see. A fully charged battery reads 12.36 v for me. After an overnight yesterday, it was down to 11.80 v or so. I'll see what it shows tomorrow with the light disconnected.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,373 Posts
don't know if there is one but get a small friend and throw em in the trunk and close it and see. Just like a refrigerator!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it shut off then or is it wired into the interior lights delayed off system? The person whose thread I referred to used his cell phone or something similar to put in his trunk and that's how he found out that his stayed on. All of my friends eat too well to fit in the trunk although there are a few I'd like to put in a refrigerator for a week or so.

·
97,373 Posts
probably wired in. one of the experts will answer that. how about doing what your friend did? put your smartphone in video mode and start recording. turn off camera flash so it does not come on or aim it at the light and see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smart phone??? What's that? :)

I stuck my rotary dial phone in there, but that didn't do a darn thing.

·
97,373 Posts
Use your shoe phone like Maxwell Smart

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I recall asking the same question but it was on the R171. IIRC there is no separate switch but may be controlled via the trunk/boot latch mechanism.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Smart phone??? What's that? :)

I stuck my rotary dial phone in there, but that didn't do a darn thing.
ROFL!!! Wait, how did you close the trunk then? Or is it new generation - Wi-Fi rotary phone? =) :D

Honestly, what I would do is place a smart phone with camcorder on into the trunk and see if the light goes off if you close the trunk. Then play with the switch for the dome light - turn off/on and then check the recording.
It either might be dependent on it, or perhaps it uses the actual lock as a switch (close circuit) to turn off the light? o_O

·
97,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well with the trunk light disconnected my voltage went from 12.25 v yesterday to 11.88 v this morning. Is that more of a drop than it should be? If so, then the drain lies elsewhere.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
That is wwaaaayy more than it should be. It should drop only a couple of tenths of a volt over a one week period. My jaguar E-type which hasn't moved since the 1 of December 2013 started right up 3 days ago. It only has a quartz clock and the radio memory for a drain but the Mercedes should still last a lot longer than one overnight.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after three more days it has gone from 11.88 v to 11.86 v. That would seem to indicate that right now there isn't a problem. An intermittent electrical drain is going to be really hard to track down.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Thinking about this a little more, your battery should be at least 12.6v resting 1 day after taking it off the charger. That would be just sitting on the floor or disconnected if in the car. <edit> The battery may have an internal problem which is causing it to discharge, also.<end edit> I would seriously think about taking your battery to an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store and have it checked. They do it for free thinking you'll come back and buy a new one.

These cars are hell to push-start with the auto tranny!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
AARRR..Dwarf in the Trunk !!!

Where is the shutoff for the trunk light switch located? I looked all over and darned if I could locate it.

Someone in the past week or so posted a thread about their trunk light not turning off when the trunk was closed, but a search for it didn't bring it up for me. Over the past couple of years I've had an issue with the battery draining after not using the car for awhile. I'm wondering if the trunk light not turning off could be my problem. So I disconnected it this AM after I charged the battery to see. A fully charged battery reads 12.36 v for me. After an overnight yesterday, it was down to 11.80 v or so. I'll see what it shows tomorrow with the light disconnected.
No Seriously......when I go on a Picnic....or whatever I leave the trunk open putting stuff in and getting stuff out......the trunk light stays on for about 5 minutes and switches off by itself...any way it draws very little current...nothing to worry about.:tu::tu:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.