Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, here's my car info:
2010 SLK 350

There is one truck bulb the left side corner of my car. The bulb was incandescent out so I decided to replace it with and LED bulb. The bulb is a Sylvania 12V. After I installed the bulb, the bulb went on then about 3 seconds later it went off. I tried it probably five or six times and the same thing would happen. I checked the license place lights and all brake/reverse lights, but they are all ok. I'm at a loss here. I was wondering if I changed all bulbs to LED if that would make it work. The car was garage kept, so it is immaculate. There is no wear on the wires mesh at all. I just don't know what to do.

Before I posted this, I looked through the threads here and did find some that were related to trunk bulbs, but nothing like this. I hope there is an easy fix as I am a newbie and if it comes to electrical stuff, I'll need to visit a mechanic.

Thanks in advance for your help! ;);)

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
you missed my thread then

the inside trunk bulb you need MUST be canbus error free

all other inside bulbs do NOT need to be canbus free

here is from my thread

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Thanks for the info! With the info on those threads I completely understand not only how to fix the repair, but to also understand the reason it happens. Since I understand the CANbus issue, would it be appropriate to ask about Ghost Lights here (I assume same reasons as the trunk light info) and how the affect other parts of the door or open new thread? Again, looked for a thread but could not find one.

Thanks! 🙂

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts
ghost lights? like on the street from the bottom of the doors?

·
Founding Member 2006
113,396 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - I bought some off of Ebay, of course el cheapo ones, and I am getting an error message with those. I'm assuming that the issue is similar to the CANbus/error free I had earlier. Additionally, I got an error message on my left door :

9203 M21/1 (Left electrically adjustable and heated exterior rearview mirror): The mirror lens adjustment is overloaded or has a short circuit.STORED

9212 Component M21/1h1 (Automatic dimming mirror) has Short circuit. STORED

I was wondering if these errors had anything to do with the el cheapo Ebay puddle lights.

Thanks!

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
1,555 Posts
Yes - I bought some off of Ebay, of course el cheapo ones, and I am getting an error message with those. I'm assuming that the issue is similar to the CANbus/error free I had earlier. Additionally, I got an error message on my left door :

9203 M21/1 (Left electrically adjustable and heated exterior rearview mirror): The mirror lens adjustment is overloaded or has a short circuit.STORED

I was wondering if these errors had anything to do with the el cheapo Ebay puddle lights.

Thanks!
These work fine. $12.99 CDN on Amazon.ca

KaTur 36mm Festoon C5W Led Bulbs 6000K White Light Super Bright Chipsets Canbus Error Free for 6418 6461 6486X 6411 6418 6451 Interior Dome License Plate Door Lights (4pcs,White)

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,871 Posts

Thanks!
no thats a separte issue.

·
*Premium Member
2010 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It worked! I got the canbus/error free light and installed. I put my cell phone in the trunk and closed it to ensure the light went off. It's perfect!

Thanks jbanks , i860 and Alex 3 for your help on this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts