Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I took the SLK to the grocery store last night, loaded a bag in the trunk and closed it as usual. Got in, started the engine and started driving. Got the 'Close Trunk' message on the dash. Got out, trunk looked closed. Tried to open it and nothing happened, lid appears to be jammed shut. Luckily, the groceries are non-perishable.

A description of the issue so far:
  • The 'Close Trunk' message is displayed while driving.
  • Pulling the handle makes a clicking sound, but the trunk does not open.
  • Using the key fob makes a clicking sound, but the trunk doesn't open.
  • The valet key barely turns in the trunk cylinder. It goes about 10 degrees before stopping, trunk doesn't open.
  • Holding the trunk handle and pulling up as hard as I dare moves the lid a tiny bit (maybe 1/4"), but the trunk does not open.
  • It is unlikely (but possible) that something is jammed in the latch. I believe the groceries were far from the latch.
  • Frozen water is not the issue, car is garaged and it was 55 F outside at the time.
There are several threads for similar issues, but most are for the 170 and with different failure conditions.

What I plan to do/have done so far:
  • Charging the battery (no change)
  • Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery (no change)
  • Trying to retract the roof (no change, trunk not closed and partition not closed messages)
  • Lubricate the lock cylinder (PTFE lube arrives Wednesday)
  • Unload tension on the latch by pushing down on the trunk lid while operating the valet key or handle.
  • Take it to the dealer and prepare to take the punishment.
Any other idea of things to try before I get to the dreaded last resort of the dealer? The car just turned 10 last month, I suppose some of these things are to be expected. :frown:

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: dbgrn

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Are you able to reclose the trunk/boot lid? Maybe it will work after it is fully closed and re-opened again?

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you able to reclose the trunk/boot lid? Maybe it will work after it is fully closed and re-opened again?
Maybe, I'll try that tonight and report back. My initial thought is no, but I may have been so focused on trying to open it that I neglected to try closing it first.

Thanks for the suggestion Eddy.

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed it.

I tried engaging the trunk handle and pulling up harder. No go, I was just lifting the car by the trunk handle. Pushing down was a no go, the trunk wouldn't close either. Finally, pushing down, then engaging the handle, then pulling up abruptly (but not as hard as I had been doing before) got it open. It turns out the quick application of force is more important that the intensity.

The culprit was a pillow I use for lumbar support, it was in the trunk while I was cleaning the cabin last week. It must have fallen over the latch as I was closing the trunk. The latch cut right through it.

It turns out the 171 trunk latch is very robust. Just don't wedge stuff in the latch.

Reactions: etyu and dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Great to hear it's now sorted! :tu:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.