Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
Hi @M4rCu5 ,

I don't think you can reset Mileage on SDS without having Cluster Virginised first, you can maybe move it 500km each way (not absolutely sure), never needed to actually try any of that ;)

SDS will give you the total Mileage (well km actually) covered by many MB vehicles with EIS because EIS also stores mileage, but not sure about R170 ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave
I did say that I'm a novice :p >:D

I think the bit that's more relevant is re. to another cluster being dropped in there .. something that I happen to be surrounded by atm and have got them on the brain but let's not go off topic - again - :D

Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
Ha Ha .................

Yes early Cars, up to Flip Out Key hold mileage in Cluster, so yeah you can get lower mileage by Cluster Swap.

More modern EIS Cars, it is stored in EIS and Cluster, if you swap a Cluster on a pre facelift W220 S Class or W203 etc etc etc all you will get is dashes (------) instead of mileage, because the 2 don't agree, but there is an 'SDS' way round that to revert to Cluster stored ;), post facelift Cars after about 50? miles, the Cluster will update to whatever is stored in EIS, I've never tried the SDS workaround on a Post Facey Car :wink:

HTH ............

Off Topic but ..............

Off Topic is my middle name, didn'tcha know :grin: .................

I digress lol .....................

>:D

Cheers Dave

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #23
Evening Guys, @M4rCu5 , @Dave2302 ,
There is nothing OFF topic! It's sharing info = knowledge = HELP!
I have found this:

Odometer Correction (Special function MN015 )
By OBDII - Comprehensive odometer correction for W221 and W216 vehicles. The odometer is changed in the following units: CGW, EZS, Instrument Cluster and all other units, which store the odometer (like Tire Pressure Monitor and Adaptive Brake, for example) , Read/Write service history records in ZGW of W221 S-Class and W216 CL, Read/Write complete EEPROM and Flash of CGW (Central gateway) of W221 S-Class and W216 CL, Odometer correction in dashboard for Vito, Viano, Sprinter after 2006 year E-Class W211, CLS W219, GL X164, ML W164, R-Class W251, C-Class W203 and G-Class W463
Odometer Correction for W204/W212/W207/W197/X204 requires special function MN016
Owners of this special function can make odometer correction for the following vehicle models:
SLK R170 - Instrument Cluster and ASSYST
SLK R171 - Instrument Cluster and ASSYST

Don't ask me where nor WHO, I saw it I found it useful I copied it!
Now you know!

Regarding MOTS they do match (low mileage) 1200-1500 mile each year ODD right!
SO in another thread I read more...(I know where I got this from now!) https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/checking-for-clocked-odo-with-star.159101/page-4
It is a different forum, but the idea is clear and...Sadly backed UP! So if you read all the 4 pages you could get more info and details - for the NEXT time!
SO will catch up later guys!

Hi Guys,

A lot of misinformation in that Thread, post #11 is true ;)

Didn't read all of the rest, just some on each page ;)

Here's what I know ..............

Those EBay Mileage Correction Softwares don't work that well on most cars. Very "Hyped Advertising".

Virginisation and Re programming via EEPROMMING is the only foolproof way to do it, and not for the faint hearted, can end up bricking clusters, even the whole car if EIS gets messed with, no EIS on R170.

The Mileage Blockers work, but once removed strange things can and do happen :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
Hi Guys,

A lot of misinformation in that Thread, post #11 is true ;)

Didn't read all of the rest, just some on each page ;)

Here's what I know ..............

Those EBay Mileage Correction Softwares don't work that well on most cars. Very "Hyped Advertising".

Virginisation and Re programming via EEPROMMING is the only foolproof way to do it, and not for the faint hearted, can end up bricking clusters, even the whole car if EIS gets messed with, no EIS on R170.

The Mileage Blockers work, but once removed strange things can and do happen :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave
You will need developer mode to change any mileage on a used cluster.

either that or, as Dave says, you will need a virginized ECU. Not sure you need any EEPROMing for older stuff.

You will need developer mode to change any mileage on a used cluster.

either that or, as Dave says, you will need a virginized ECU. Not sure you need any EEPROMing for older stuff.
Hi Aaron, I've never tried that, when I get time I will try it, but right now I can't see how SDS Developer would do it, that normally just changes stuff that is otherwise locked when in normal "Version Coding"

Have you done it ?

Cheers Dave

Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
Hi Aaron, I've never tried that, when I get time I will try it, but right now i can't see how Developer would do it, have you done it ?

Cheers Dave
No. I was just learned that it's usually done by the same Mercedes Benz folks that do the keys, and requires "specialty tools". (developer)

but - I also read that the MB brains wont do USED clusters.....

and also - some W210 owners swap out clusters without ANY issue. but I would imagine it shows up on a scan.

It's all about who you ask.. if someone has a spare 170 cluster to send me, I'd be happy to try!

Hi Aaron @Turdo2 ,

I'll try it tomorrow if it's raining :wink:

If not it'll have to wait until I get to Crossfire Cluster messing :grin:

I did try it years ago, not in Developer, just in SDS Cluster Menu's on a 2002 W638 Cluster swap, (DAS 2 CDI) wouldn't go near it !! 2002 W638 is similar Electronically to R170's.

Also tried it on W203 C Class, W211 E Class, C215 CL and W220 S's, all DAS 3, no joy :(

Since then everyone I know who does Clusters (not just MB either) has said all this Mileage Correction EBay junk is a waste of time, the only certainty is Virgin a used Clusters EEPROM and then it can be reproggramed with Dealer Gear to the mileage figure that is stored in whatever module keeps "redundant Mileage" i.e. ....................

MB = EIS, Peugeot Citroen = BSI Module, Ford = Engine ECU, etc etc etc

I have never really got into it so I simply don't know.

HTH, Cheers Dave

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #30
I just tried *.jpg,
2 times

1. The text that you have entered is too long (935455 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long
NO text just pic!

Attachments

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #31
The mail I am using says 1 hour ago - 2 times!
YES, the picture somehow is attached.
I passed MOT today mileage as on the cluster!

All of this is OFF topic as shows no new info just Update!

Attachments

Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
if you have any issues with the forum @BaD_81
it is so much easier to message a moderator to discuss the issue for a fix
Thanks

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #33
@jbanks15 I asked the question and if not wrong Len is a Moderator? I can understand his point!
@Dave2302 Regarding the cabling/oil the PDF is with few pictures one missing but....not so important.
In daylight/warmer time of the day will measure the shifting/positioning with Voltmeter!
The last pic looks familiar the Accord I HAD was with IMMO/SRS reset module (USB like) next to the key slot, that looked familiar. Someone had it removed and I never bothered to trace cabling!
As I drove it today to and from MOT check, slowly accelerating (no speedo, remember) up to 3500-4000 rpms I couldn't feel shifting nor compressor "power"!
The bucket's getting deeper!

Attachments

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
@jbanks15 I asked the question and if not wrong Len is a Moderator? I can understand his point!
Jeff is referring to sending a private message, not posting about "forum issues" in the "public" area (where these posts are) :tu:

Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
10 pics max per post, you were trying 11 yes?
he might have been trying to upload all of his pics at one time
that will produce an error message
try only like 2-3 pics at a time

Hi,

OK, so it has now passed an MOT Test, so it's obviously not a completely rotten terminal basket case ..................

Get someone with SDS, (NOT Main Stealer), to scan it, note down not just code numbers but description also, or print all codes, then reset, then drive a bit and re scan with SDS, see what comes back, note it all down again or print then we can go further ;)

It is worth spending an hour or 2 of labour to get a Pro with SDS to do this, you will save that money by not playing Parts Darts.

I'm not clear from your previous posts, was there Oil in TCU ??

HTH, Cheers Dave

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #38
Morning All,
@Dave2302
No mate looking at these photos (you see the dust on the manufacturer insulation like aluminum powder) the "tape" they used is dry. The gloves I used are dirty not oily!
The TCU (am I correct to state it was made 1998 week 18?) looks dry. But I haven't unhooked it, to flip it upside down and see if it going to leak, neither.
Keeping in mind the positioning ~30 degrees off vertical position there would've been drops on the bottom, "wet" cabling prior the TCU being filled! right?

The test drive needs to wait "just" a bit. The vehicle is SORN = very bad idea to drive it....expensive one too!

As the car is on a slope (up the hill parked at the moment) I will extract some oil with the tool attached last(vacuum_1.png) and will check color and smell. Will use a single piece loooooong clear hose, probably it will be more oil in the hose compared to the container, but it will be from the bottom of the gearbox.

Will upload pics later!

Thanks, enjoy the SUNNY Sunday!

Attachments

Hi @BaD-81 ,

:tu:

Yes, apologies, I don't have the driving un taxed Cars issue I can also drive with no MOT, as I have Trade Plates and Motor Trade Insurance, the Trade Plates are, (have to be), registered on my MID entries ..............

There are rules, you can't just go out for a jolly etc, also no MOT is a bit specific, if questioned by Police etc, I would have to be "Test Driving the Vehicle as it has an intermittent fault, which prevents it from getting MOT test, if it turns out to be fixed after that Road Test it will of course be going for MOT ASAP ", or, if location was feasible, I could be "Taking it to an MOT Test Station to leave it there for a Test" ............ (when they get a spare MOT slot if it's not actually booked) :wink:

Looks like your TCU might be OK, I'm leaning towards Conductor Plate right now (speed sensor issue) but seeing all codes on SDS will confirm :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

Registered 1998 SLK230K
Discussion Starter #40
A bit of an Update!
The color of the tranny oil is... difficult to explain!
I intentionally used wet wipes so they can absorb the oil and the color could be ... clearer.
The surrounding for color comparison is like this: Nescafe mug is red, white cardboard box, white piece of paper. O-ring from the vacuum set container.
The smell, hmm I can try describing it, engine oil smell, but to"baked" that you are almost ready to cry!
No contamination left on the inner side of the container. I cut some slots on the front of the hose so it will be able to drop to the very bottom. But as I said it's faced UP the hill and was after 1 red light plus half a mile in total!

The measuring of the shifter was unsuccessful as I couldn't unlock the cable plug. It is 21 YO plastic after all!

Will try to clear the "safest" way with YouTube and/or manuals I got.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 57 Posts