Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivial stuff but...

896 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  LeonardoDaBenz 
#1 ·
During this lockdown, taking this period to get one or two things done, like machine polish the car etc.

The wife's car is the Polar White Slc with the night package. So the alloys are black with the diamond cut. I've used a wheel cleaner that's a little bit too caustic to deal with the overwhelming break dust and two types of damage have occured.
I've stained the clear alloy centre of one wheel, but additionally, what appears to be a clear wrap that covers the black spray area on the remaining parts of the wheel(s) has started to bubble and peel.
Intending to get the alloys resprayed, so no issues there. But with Mercedes Distributors are presently shutdown, I can't approach them at the moment to get the work down if I choose to do so....But I don't, because unlike BMW distributors here in the Sussex, my MB service centre farms everything out to third party outlets then chucks 30% fee on top.

I will approach a 3rd party outlet direct.
So, here are the queries...
1. Was the clear wrap used to give the black paint a matt look, or was it a protective skin to deal with the break dust? Should I ask for it to be used again if it gives the wheel proven protection?
2. Is there a particular method and paint that I can request that will give a superior appearance and be more hard wearing to cleaning (yes I will stop using Bilberry Wheel Cleaner).

I'm sure this question has been raised elsewhere, what are you doing for getting the car serviced during the lockdown period or are we confident that authorised garages will be operational before the 6 months extended period to get the service done and runs out.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I only ever use warm soapy water (Installed a hot & cold out-side taps..!! :cool:) to wash My SLK wheels, as the Mercedes wheels do seem prone to corrosion.... Found one of these cleaning brushes very useful:
* Link https://www.amazon.co.uk/EZ-Detail-Brushes-EZBL-Motorbike/dp/B00O4R0RVW/ref=sr_1_2?

I also make sure that I wash off with plenty of clean water, Micro-fiber dry & then normally take the car for a drive, to spin off the remaining water off....

Here in Basingstoke, there is a good wheel refurbishment business that I got one of My R171 wheels repaired, which I'd much rather trust, that the MB dealer... (~£68 to repair & single colour respray or ~£120 for dual colour/diamond cut...)
Though back in 2018, single loose wheel(s) where a 2 day turn around, where as a car left with them, was a 6 week lead time to get the car in.....

If You visit one of these wheel repair places in person, they will talk You through the options.

Lucky My SLC is a end of September/October Service, but this CV-19 is going to create a yearly on going problem of everyone wanting their cars serviced in July/August...??

Plus: Talking of Service & Wheels....
After chemical damage to My R171, When My car in for service or repair I tell the Service Advisor & leave a note on the passenger seat: "Please do not Wash or Valet this car".....

#4 ·
Agree that the speed that the brake dust builds up on the R172 is bad.....

I was seriously considering ceramic pads, but after a gentle Sunday 7.5 hour/200 mile drive around Mont Blanc in the Alps with @Col who had identical brakes, disks & wheels on His R172/55 to mine, but with ceramic pads - Standing by His car, the front brakes where noticeable hotter.....😬

#5 ·
Just a little update, popped round to one of the better tyre/wheel replacement retailers in the area, who took one look at the alloys and confirmed that the 'peeling' was due to the lacquer not being baked on after application. It will cost £125 per wheel for the alloys to be dipped, striped, repainted, diamond cut, lacquered and baked. That's about the going rate, so no issues there.

Reactions: Trev5
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.