Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised that nobody appears to have organised a trip to the Isle of Man for SLK Owners. After all, if using the motorbike TT course there is no speed limit over the mountain so you could really open up and see what speed your beloved car can do plus of course there is lots of history and also beautiful scenery. I am, of course, biased as I live here.>:D

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,454 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody appears to have organised a trip to the Isle of Man for SLK Owners. After all, if using the motorbike TT course there is no speed limit over the mountain so you could really open up and see what speed your beloved car can do...>:D
Has been on My bucket list to visit the Isle of Man since the 1980's... :|
Perhaps with the Channel Tunnel being closed & filled it at the end of March 2019, a trip to the IOM could be on our own 2019 Road Trip List - How much is the ferry..??

So when is the best (non-TT) time of year to visit the Isle of Man, and can We put You down to organise the UK SLKworld Spring Tour there..? :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,022 Posts
Done many times on bike, not just for TT.

Planning to hit Isle at some point with the cars, but will not be tour planning.
Tours tend to be organised by locals.

Roads I'd use on a bike are not necessarily what I'd use for a car.

One big plus for IoM, it caters for all.
Fast time, scenery time Peel, Marine Drive, Snaefell road.
Tourist time Laxey wheel, prom, calf.

Now, fitting it into 3/4 days? That is a challenge.

But will give locals a shout out when we are over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ferry costs vary throughout the year and indeed are really hyped up for the TT in June and the September races see the Steampacket website: https://www.steam-packet.com for costs and details of times etc. Also for golfers, there are 8 courses so even though you can't really fit your clubs in SLK boots [trunks?] they can be hired. Sounding like the Tourist Board here I think!

I'm afraid my own organisation days are well past

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,454 Posts
Ferry costs vary throughout the year and indeed are really hyped up for the TT in June and the September races see the Steampacket website: https://www.steam-packet.com for costs and details of times etc.
I'm afraid my own organisation days are well past
Perhaps You could be in-listed on a purely consultancy bases..!!

OK so looking on the Steam-Packet website and not listing April 2019 prices yet, but example prices
Start at £186 return for rubbish times, but £207 for this example:
Departing "Heysham" Thursday 25/10/19 @ 14:15 Arr IOM: 18:00
Returning to "Liverpool" Monday to 29/10/18 (Depart IOM: 15:00 -- Arr: 17:45)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG
362 Posts
Went this year on the bike. NOT during any race week. Tues-tues. Ferry was £128 return.(bike & rider). If we'd gone sat-sat (southern 100 race week) ferry was £250 !!. Accommodation varies accordingly as well.We went in July and it was fantastic. Very quiet on the roads. The new motor museum at Jurby is fantastic.cars,bikes, and, highlight for me - Pratt & Whitney R-4360 !!! Wow ! There were a lot of holiday makers though. The Douglas prom was fairly full of cars. That's a first for me ! Waiting to get on the ferry in Liverpool, watching the ferry unload, there were quite a lot of sports cars getting off. Most were being very careful at the point the ferry ramp meets the dock. But no one did actually scrape the underside !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts