Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I plan on driving the SLK to Banff for about a week at the beginning of August. Anyone have any advice as to some fun roads to drive the SLK on there?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Been there a few times, absolutely stunning scenery! Didn't do any driving myself though, so can't help you out there. Lots to see and do though, have fun! :)

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been to most all the National Parks and to all the States. Seen all the mountains in the West. I think Lake Louise is the prettiest. Really convenient to get to from Calgary. Great views down the long glacial valleys. And the lake colors are spectacular. I've been there 3 times but never as a destination before. And not with a convertible SLK!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
mtiede...

I live in Calgary, less than an hour from Banff. You've GOT to do highway 93 going up to Jasper. It's got enough turns on it they don't even allow trucks on the road. About halfway, you can stop and take a Snow Coach on the glacier (....yes, in summer)! It's an easy day run from Banff. (west on highway 1, just past Lake Louise go North on 93.
http://www.columbiaicefield.com/

It's my second favorite road, but there really aren't a lot of bad drives on any road between Calgary and Vancouver.

My favorite road is the "Going to the Sun" road in Montana. It might sort of be on your way back depending which way you go. No vehicles over 21 feet. You'll look up and see cars 1000 feet above you, then realize it's where you will be in about 5 minutes. Stay in Waterton on the Alberta side, then cross over the border and have fun.
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

I intend to put the top down and do it this summer in the SLK as well! Can hardly wait.

Neither of these are the fastest roads you'll drive, just probably the most fun and scenic. (for fast, try the Coquihalla, which I think is the highest major road in the country.)

Enjoy!

Dang

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, we did that road to Jasper once before. Went on the Snow Coach out over the Columbia Icefield. Saw a coyote and a timber wolf along the way in the river bed.

Looking forward to doing that trip again with the convertible.

We will be staying about 4 days in Banff at Lake Louise and then heading up to Jasper for a couple of days. Staying in Hinton when by Jasper.

Been lucky enough to be to most all the parks in the US. Been to "Going to the Sun", but it was a LOOONGG time ago. I read that they were in the middle of repairing the road. Shoring up the support walls, improving drainage and the like. Sounds like a good thing to do. Although the road is open while they are working on it, I'm not sure if you can drive on it or whether you have to take a bus.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Been there once about 15 years back and came from Cali ,coming from your direction I would cross the plains into Montana and use I-90 ( the autobahn of the North ) go across Idaho into Washington head for a Town called Ephrata then head North up to Grand Coulee awesome damn and lakes on this road then head North up through the Okanagan Valley (very good scenery and a few historic town) and cross the border into Canada. Can't remember the highway numbers but Goggle maps should help. Once you cross the border Calgary ( when we were there the Olympic village was a sight to see ) and Banff are right close and the roads through the Canadian Rockies is beautiful.
Which ever way you go it will be a great trip one we plan to take when Jo gets to walking.
Have a good time and looking forward to your pic's.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Went 5000+ miles and had a great time. Amongst other things, went to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. I will post a couple of the pictures for now. It was GREAT in the SLK 350. Top down. Although it was a little scary stopping by the buffalo, the elk, and mostly the bears! Apparently a worker at Lake Louise got mauled by a bear a couple of days before our arrival.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Went 5000+ miles and had a great time. Amongst other things, went to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. I will post a couple of the pictures for now. It was GREAT in the SLK 350. Top down. Although it was a little scary stopping by the buffalo, the elk, and mostly the bears! Apparently a worker at Lake Louise got mauled by a bear a couple of days before our arrival.

(Doesn't look like I'm doing imageshack right, but I will try this below anyway)

Nope, no image there... Have to try later...

try photobucket.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, here are some pictures from PhotoBucket.

The car before it got REALLY dirty.

Heading toward Glacier National Park

More of Glacier.

Going to the Sun road before it got scary :)

Pretty valley.

Lake St. Mary.

And here is the view from our room at the Fairmont Lake Louise.

That's it for now. Maybe some pictures of varmints later.

Okay, 1 more for now. Should this car be washed?

I was happy how these pictures came out since they were stills from my video camera.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Thanks for the beautiful scenery photos. A good wash and wax is in order. R170 antenna perhaps?

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I want to do that antenna. I have to get past my tendency to procrastinate :)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Beautiful pics, I'm jealous, makes me want to go out for a nice drive.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I scraped off a bunch at the gas station. You can see some carcasses on the ground. I tried to go to a car wash that evening, but it was packed with people. Didn't occur to me until just now that the reason it was packed was probably the same reason I was there :)

The next morning no one was there so I was able to try to wash the front end off. I was able to use a very high power pressure washer to get most of the bodies off the grid to the radiator and off the fog lights. I tried to be very careful with it on the paint, but those grasshoppers were very stubborn.

And we have been busy since getting back from the trip, but tomorrow I'm getting out the bug and tar remover. Previously I tried to get the dirt off, but it really didn't hose off well and I was afraid of grinding the grit into the paint. So I just ran water on it and loosened the dirt with my hand. That helped. But tomorrow I will try to actually wash it. I might be seeing Zaino and a clay bar in my future.

Did the slideshow work for you?

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Slide show worked great :tu: Wash and claybar, then Zaino tomorrow:)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and show. :tu:I've been to Banff quite a while ago and it is a beautiful place!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts