Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I thought I had a whine coming from the trans but I found out today it wasn't the trans at all but this thing, what ever it is.

Attachments

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
give us a clue Gordo

you've pictured several things there. a likely culprit is the belt tensioner, but it could also be the a/c clutch.

don't be putting your stethoscope down there with the engine running to find out what.

Set the aircon for fully cold, run the motor, stand at the front and listen, and have a pal work the aircon on and off on your command. If the whining comes and goes with that, there's your problem as the mythbusters duo would say.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you've pictured several things there. a likely culprit is the belt tensioner, but it could also be the a/c clutch.

don't be putting your stethoscope down there with the engine running to find out what.

Set the aircon for fully cold, run the motor, stand at the front and listen, and have a pal work the aircon on and off on your command. If the whining comes and goes with that, there's your problem as the mythbusters duo would say.
I think it's coming from the part that has the 4 bolts on it,, in the middle of the photo.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
they will when they sober up n login :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
but you said you had it fixed?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol.
The air seems to be on all the time, so I don't think it's that.
Water pump? Oh crap. I don't see any water leaking. :eek:
Is that hard to replace? Stupid question. Looks like there is plenty of room to work in there.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
*Premium Member
2002 SLK320
1,000 Posts
Lol.
The air seems to be on all the time, so I don't think it's that.
Water pump? Oh crap. I don't see any water leaking. :eek:
Is that hard to replace? Stupid question. Looks like there is plenty of room to work in there.
I replaced my water pump as it had play in it, but wasn't leaking - it's an easy job. The car was a bit quieter afterwards but I realised I should have replaced the idler pulley at the same time as it's so cheap. It was quieter still after I did that. It was even quieter after I replaced the tensioner pulley, but that was a bit more expensive. I was disappointed they were all making noise after only 140,000km (75k miles).

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Yes we noticed a 'wine' and I was quickly able to determine that the water pump on the e320 needed to be replaced. The was no leakage only noise. While in there I had the mechanic replace the tensioner and the thermostat as PM.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great,, thanks for the info. I'll be changing all the above as well.
Thanks,
G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.